Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can my engine handle this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 04:29 AM
Default can my engine handle this?

i am looking at getting more hp and torque for my 05 5.3 Z71. one of my friends recomended a superchager. the site is
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1144
i am getting a lot more low end torque which is great for off roading. i want to know if me engine can handle this addition of hp and torque. or will i need to beef up it up? i already have a 6' RCD lift with 35" procomp mud terrains, a hypertech power programmer, and a K&N FIPK II air intake. any help would begreatly appreciated.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:49 AM
Default RE: can my engine handle this?

Whipple is a fantastic product however, they are also expensive. Whipple and other companies like Procharger and Vortech, specifically designed these superchargers to bolt on to our engines with no problems in theory. I don't think you will have a problem if you bolt it on and leave it as is. For example, the pullies may produce 6psi. If that is so, leave it alone. Our engines can not handle boosts pass 8psi without catastrophic failure. You just have to be smart about it and understand our engines will only hold so much hp/torque before they screw up. Also, check out the Procharger and Vortech superchargers. I'm planning on going with a Procharger in the future. I wish you the best of luck and with that supercharger, your truck will be amazing!

Old 04-06-2007, 12:00 PM

excellent cal SC......thats the truth man, just like he was saying, i was always told on our trucks NEVER to go past 8 pounds. but things to remember are this...its not just a supercharger, you have to get injectors, bigger fuel pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, you'll need to be tuned, a simple flash paq wonnt do it. you.ll need to do a heat exchanger, or intercooler setup, and colder plugs. i am not saying you HAVE to have all of this, I have seen people run 6 pounds on trucks like mine, and do absolutely nothing, but i suggest doing the above mentioned, to get the maximum capability of the super charger. Me personally i am going to do a head and cam swap..then add the blower.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:53 PM

Another thing to think about is the tranny, it might not hold for long with the added power and harder driving that goes along with it.[/align]

Old 04-06-2007, 01:55 PM

I agree with everyone on this. I know that I would not be able to live with just 6 pounds of boost for too long. I would get everything you need to support the larger boost and then see what happens. As for the chargers, whipple is the best you can get for an auto matic trans. It makes a continuous 6 pounds and doesn't need the higher rpms to make the boost. the others, vortec and procharger are great if you have a manual trans. Good luck and I am jealous.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:04 PM

yeah he's right, you might wanna invest in a shift kit too

Old 04-06-2007, 03:32 PM

I agree, but don't underestimate running 6 pounds of boost. With 6 pounds, you probably be pushing over 350hp to the pavement. But like everyone else said, it would be wise to spend the money and do it right to get the most out of the supercharger.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:41 PM
TruckForum Addict

Don't neglect the rear end, either. That much power is a good way to make the stock one grenade...

Old 04-07-2007, 08:46 PM

There shouldn't be any problem with your engine handling this supercharger. This is actualy one I was looking at at one time but decided to put it off till the other modifications to my truck have been made. I do agree with the other guys about the upgrades but those things can all be done in time. I mean think about it after you get it and play with it for a while it's not like you are gonna use it all the time. Just when you want to. The great thing is they anly kick in when you need them. Good luck and let us know what you do.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:21 AM

awsome. thankx for all the great info. i am gooing to do more research about before i decide. if i do do it it will be a bit. i have other mods i want to do and i have a kid on the way. but i am really looking into it. the extra power will be nice off road.

Quick Reply: can my engine handle this?