Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Can my truck be fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Default Can my truck be fixed?

Hi everyone, I am new to these forums. I have a 1995 Chevy Silverado/K1500 that I use to pull my horse trailer. It has rusted badly underneath the truck and my mechanic said it wasn't worth fixing. However, when I started looking for a new vehicle, I found I really can't afford to buy another truck. It is amazing how much the old ones are costing these days! I only use the truck about 2k miles a year, so I can't justify a huge payment on a vehicle that mostly sits.

I would like to try to figure out if my Chevy can be fixed. My mechanic said the frame was still okay, but the gas lines and vent lines were badly rusted. The brake lines were replaced a couple of years ago. The shocks are rusted, but they have been for quite a while. The rear differential is leaking. I'm not sure what else would need to be replaced. I just need something that can get me across town a couple of times a week, driving slowly. The engine and transmission seem to be fine; it only has 94K miles on it. While I realize the truck may not be worth putting a bunch of money into, if I could get another couple of years out of it I'd be satisfied. The mechanic I use is not a truck mechanic, and I live in the south now, where they don't see rust issues like this. He was afraid to start fixing things because of the rust.

Is there anyway this truck may be saved? I know its a hard question to answer without seeing it. But does anyone have suggestions of who I could take my truck to that might be able to fix it? I'm thinking that putting $3k or so into might be a better way to go than putting $18k into another used truck!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Old 10-14-2011, 10:44 AM
TruckForum Addict

Absolutely your truck is worth saving. DO NOT get rid of it for some rusty fuel and vent lines!

Mechanics from the south are typically scared of rust, because they hardly see it. If your frame is good, the truck is worth saving. Chevy trucks last forever if you take care of them. Your engine still has loads of life left to it, and as long as your frame is good, take care of the lines and keep on driving it.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:32 PM

Thank you for the little bit of hope!! I would be ecstatic if the truck could be saved! Do you have any suggestions of where to look for someone to fix it? Do I need to go to a body shop?

Old 10-14-2011, 02:36 PM
TruckForum Addict

Oh heck no, don't go to a body shop to have them repair fuel lines! Those guys usually don't know a darn thing about mechanical stuff (No offence to any body guys on here- just speaking from experience).

I would suggest a local shop, or go north somewhat. Somebody will fix it. You just need to find the right mechanic. It's not a big deal to fix if you're up to the task, the guys here can walk you through it if you feel up to it.

I just did my fuel line this spring. It was a pain in the butt, but I got it done. Wasn't too extremely terrible of a job. I also just did all new brake lines in the front.

At the worst case, you'll end up driving out of state to find a mechanic more used to rust. The farther north you go, the easier it'll be.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:29 PM

Definitely keep it. Everything can be fixed and your problems are pretty minor in comparison to what they could be. The rear diff is an easy fix since it's just a new gasket and a bit of cleaning. You can do it in about 40 minutes and have it good as new. In regards to the fuel lines, they are a bit tougher but not impossible.
Welcome to the forums....

Old 10-14-2011, 07:30 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I didn't have a rust issue but I busted the end off of my fuel line going to the tank when I was replacing the pump. I went to the dealer and the line was no longer available. I went to the junk yards and every one I found the idiots just cut the line to get the tank out. I was about to give up and was recommended to check our local hydraulic shop. They make all kinds of lines. I removed my line completely and took it over there. They put a new end on it for less than $20. It took them about 15 minutes. So try your junk yards then if that doesn't work remove the lines and have someone bend some new ones.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I should probably clarify that I am the most mechanically challenged person ever and will NOT be attempting any repairs on any vehicle I own! Much safer for everyone that way!

I'll have to locate someone up north and just plan on making a trip up that way. It will be worth it if they can save my truck!

Old 10-14-2011, 08:26 PM

The repairs you need shouldn't set you back more than a few hundred at best. It's a helluva lot better than a truck payment.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:34 PM

Wow, that would be awesome if that is all it took! I would still need to figure out a way to increase the power a bit when I tow. It isn't a huge issue, but the reason I took my truck to the mechanic in the first place was that the truck was struggling a bit when towing. It was suggested that some minor things like the fuel filter and catalytic converter be checked. Mechanic said he could do some enhancements but then didn't want to touch it because of rust.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:38 PM

absolutely.

i did lose a truck though because my frame supports actually rotted and fell off when i was driving.

but it can be fixed. that mechanic just doesnt want to do the job is all

Quick Reply: Can my truck be fixed?