Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Catalytic Converter rattle.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Default Catalytic Converter rattle.

For about 5 months now I've been hearing a random rattle coming from under the front end of my truck. At first I assumed it was my Idler pulley bearings going out, so I replaced it. The noise did'nt stop, so I stuck my head under the truck while it was running and followed the noise to the Cat on the drivers side. Sure enough, I've got a bad Cat. I have two questions. About how much will this cost me for replacement, and should I just got ahead and have both replaced even if I only hear the noise from one? Thanks yall.
Shane.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Default RE: Catalytic Converter rattle.

Well in my opinion if one is bad then there is a good chance they both are. I would do both but thats just me. Or you could just take them off and not replace them.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:52 AM

Thats what I figured. Thats the thing about California, the cops are flippin modification *****. Tinted windows, loud exhaust, loud stereo, non CARB upgrades are all things they look for to bust people.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:02 PM

Mine did the same thing. GM replaced it on their dollar. I didn't have a factory warranty, it was an 03 with 69k on the clock...

Old 05-04-2008, 07:53 PM

Geez, that would be nice. Too bad I got her at Carmax, they dont like to hear from you after the sale is made. I just hate the guts outta those embarrasing annoying squeeks and rattles, it seems like they're not gonna' let up. I havent had a quiet running truck for a good year now. [:@]

Old 05-04-2008, 08:01 PM

Mine was bought from a used dealer. GM said it had a warranty on the part itself. Apparently it happens to alot of them, and IDK, but there could be a silent recall connected to the problem...

Old 05-04-2008, 08:03 PM

Do you know where I could find that out?

Old 05-04-2008, 08:12 PM

I heard they have to replace it if you have less than 80k due to some new law. Maybe that is just in Michigan tho, or I could just be wrong. About the California cops, here in Michiganthe copsdont care about emisions and will never check or pull you over for anything related to that. Most of the people I know with trucks dont have cats.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:21 PM

I'm jealous.. lol. It's bitter sweet living in California, can't beat the weather and job opportunities, but the cops are crazy. I looked around and found two seperate sources listing all of my trucks recalls, niether listed anything related to exhaust. Plus, I'm over 90k. Thanks for the help yall'! Looks like I'm just gonna have to take it in and dish out the dough, I doubt it will be cheap by any means.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:10 PM

I think the 80k thing is what they said here too...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter rattle.