Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

CD Player

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 07:15 PM
Default CD Player

I am new on this forum from NC. I have just purchased a 1998 Sierra with the delco radio/cassette. It has the slave CD player also. My question is you just insert the CD into the player even if the radio is on and the CD starts playing? My CD player acts like it has no power and just as you insert the CD it acts like it is pushing it back out.

Anyone have any ideas or am I doing something wrong?

Old 06-19-2009, 01:20 AM

Not familliar with that unit but look for a mode or function button on deck..
MODE/tape/cd/am/fm...
Or (kids dont try this at home) with the vehicle off Manualy feed a CD in the slot as far as you can or at least more than half-way... then turn key on, and radio on, and see if it takes the cd or still wants to spit it out... but be forwarned it may keep your cd... if thats the case you have to remove stereo and find the release cha-cha to get your cd out.... Up to you but thats what I would do...

Old 06-19-2009, 07:31 AM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

Yes and no mine will sometimes play and sometimes not. Did you try pushing the AUX button with a cd in it? If you leave a cd in it when you turn the truck off it will spit it out the next time you start it, But if you leave it alone it will take it back in. These cd players are known for going bad. What I would do is remove the radio and cd player, open the cd player and hit it with some canned air also when you put it back together check for power before you reinstall the cd player

Last edited by chrisbmo2000; 06-19-2009 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:26 PM

The cd player is having problems, I would have one hell of a time getting mine to stay in there and play. If the cd player cannot read the disc it immediatly ejects it. You can try and clean the disc, but mine pissed me off enough to swap it out with a junk yard newer head unit with the cd player integrated. It was cheaper than buying an aftermarket headunit and I like the factory look.
Also if it is cold outside and the cd player is cold it will be even worse, that is what I found anyways.

Good luck, and if you remove the cd player and swap it like I did, you can make a little open faced cubby hole and dress it up however you want. I use it for my smokes and cell phone!