Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Change Engine oil light

Old 01-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Default Change Engine oil light

Does anyone know how to reset the "C.E.O" light on an '02 Avalanche? I can't remember, i believe it has something to do with tapping the brakes like 5 times in 15 seconds, or something like that. If i have to, i can check on the Avalanche Forum, just wanted to check with you guys first. I just changed the oil in my wifes Av, and want to reset the computer, thanx guys, Jim

Old 01-20-2008, 11:34 AM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: Change Engine oil light

Should be turn the key to on and hit gas pedal 3 times with in like 5 sec or something like this.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:14 PM

yeah. turn the key on and press the gas pedal 3 or 5 times, not sure... just do it 5 times to be sure lol

Old 01-20-2008, 05:18 PM

THANX GUYS, WILL LET YA KNOW IF IT WORKED.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:03 PM

me too. same problem

Old 01-20-2008, 09:57 PM

It is 3 times on the gas with the key turned on.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:06 PM

I don't remember the sequence but I do remember reading it in my manual (2k Tahoe). I you can't find your manual I can double check mine.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:46 PM

Another quick question while i'm on this subject. On my '03 Silverado, is it the same way, turn key on, press gas pedal 3 times, as the garage did my last oil change. I asked them how they did it and they told me theres a couple of ways GM resets the computer for oil changes. BUT, i can't remember what they told me. My light hasn't came on since they reset it back in October, and i had gone almost 4,000 miles since. I just did my own oil change on my truck, so i'm not worried about that but eventually the light will come on, and i wanna be able to reset it. And would it be set for 4,000 miles or so, and i remember reading about it doesn't go by mileage, it goes by oil consistency or something. Let me know guys, thanx, Jim

Old 01-21-2008, 05:13 PM

ORIGINAL: chevyrules

Another quick question while i'm on this subject. On my '03 Silverado, is it the same way, turn key on, press gas pedal 3 times, as the garage did my last oil change. I asked them how they did it and they told me theres a couple of ways GM resets the computer for oil changes. BUT, i can't remember what they told me. My light hasn't came on since they reset it back in October, and i had gone almost 4,000 miles since. I just did my own oil change on my truck, so i'm not worried about that but eventually the light will come on, and i wanna be able to reset it. And would it be set for 4,000 miles or so, and i remember reading about it doesn't go by mileage, it goes by oil consistency or something. Let me know guys, thanx, Jim
I bought my 2K Tahoe last month. It's the first Chevy truck I've owned, replacement for a totalled Durango, I'm really enjoying it. Anyway, my manual says in regard to the change engine oil light "This is not based on mileage, but on engine revolutions and engine operating temperature." "To reset the CHANGE ENGINE OIL message, turn the ignition key to RUN with the engine off. Fully press and release the accelerator pedal three times within five seconds. If the CHANGE ENGINE OIL message flashes for five seconds, the system is reset."

Old 01-21-2008, 07:45 PM

That worked on my wifes Avalanche, and after, it did flash for 5 secs. Like i said, my '03 Silverado, i'm not sure if its the same as my wifes Av, i assume it is but won't know until the CEO light comes on. Does your Tahoe have the 5.3L engine, or 5.7L ? TY for the info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Change Engine oil light