Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Changing My EGR Valve

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 10:03 AM
Default Changing My EGR Valve

I have a 2001 with the 5.3L. Where is my EGR valve, and how do I go about changing it? I was told I need to change it to pass inspection.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:27 PM

Sorry man, mine's a '98 and I don't know where IT is either I ASSume it's attached by a hose and plugged into the valve cover buuuuuuuutttt..............

Old 06-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Passenger side where that 1 inch pipe coming off the exhaust manifold and it goes into it. Thats the valve. Then it goes into the intake manifold.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by bfg112
I was told I need to change it to pass inspection.

Sounds like some mechanic is trying to drum up some business.. or you live in the WONDERFUL Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and have to contend to there retarded Emmission testing laws

One year they told me that i failed the Emmissions part but, if i pay the mechanic $200 towards repairs and it fails again then, i can get a waiver so it passes... WTF?

Old 06-29-2009, 09:14 AM

Yes, I live in Pa, and Allegheny County requires emissions.

I have heard before that there is some way to wave the emissions if you spend a certain amount to fix it and it still doesn't pass, but I've never actually tried to look it up. To have the dealer replace the EGR, a solenoid on the charcoal canister, and the fuel gage sending unit the quote was already $1700 and they said nothing about being able to wave emissions. So, I'm replacing the parts myself. $1700 is absolutely nuts!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by RUFFNECK4LYFE
Passenger side where that 1 inch pipe coming off the exhaust manifold and it goes into it. Thats the valve. Then it goes into the intake manifold.
So do I have to pull the manifold to change it, or can I get to it the way it is?

Old 06-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

The pipe is just bolted to the front of the exhaust manifold. The valve is what you wanna take off. Its the round cylinder with the electrical connection.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by bfg112
Yes, I live in Pa, and Allegheny County requires emissions.

I have heard before that there is some way to wave the emissions if you spend a certain amount to fix it and it still doesn't pass, but I've never actually tried to look it up. To have the dealer replace the EGR, a solenoid on the charcoal canister, and the fuel gage sending unit the quote was already $1700 and they said nothing about being able to wave emissions. So, I'm replacing the parts myself. $1700 is absolutely nuts!
The vehicle code states that you can wave the emissions 2 ways:

1. The vehicle has under 5000 miles from last inspection or
2. minimum $200 in emission related repairs are made and the vehicle still fails.

Personally i think that emissions is a total BS, just a way for the state to screw ya.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:33 AM

I went back to the shop yesterday, and they said if I spend $150 (that's what I found online too was the 150 number) I can wave the emissions. I went to Advance Auto for the EGR valve, for the AC Delco valve it was $240. So I'm good.

The thing that pisses me off about the emissions testing is it's by county. And it's completely different tests for different counties. Around Philly they do a true emissions test where they run the car on a dyno and have a wand in the exhaust pipe to measure what comes out. In Erie they do a sniffer test on the gas cap. Here in Pittsburgh they just plug the computer in and check for emissions codes. It is all BS!

Old 06-30-2009, 04:18 PM
TruckForum Addict

In Texas it is the same way... Emissions. And supposedly it will be expanding innto teh further out counties here too. No one will be safe... Augh! I rather they just plug into my computer. That way I can do away with my cats and delete my rear O2 sensors. And possibly delete the EGR too.

Quick Reply: Changing My EGR Valve