Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Clutch pedal and bracket, 1999 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Beginner
Default Clutch pedal and bracket, 1999 Silverado

Buggers !!!!!!!!

The plastic flange that the hydraulic cylinder mounts to at the firewall in the engine compartment busted yesterday. The pedal/bracket assembly is $78 at the dealer, GM part number 15027983.

I have the old bracket loose, but am struggling like a, well, like something, to get it free. Any one pulled one of these?

steps so far:
1) removed lower dash plastic knee panel
2) freed up the electrical block
3) detached the master cyclinder (rotate 45 degrees and pull)
4) detached the clutch pedal position switch from the psuhrod
5) detached pushrod from pedal by squeezing plastic clips at the ball-socket
6) detached white plastic cup (ball) from end of pushrod
7) removed small plastic wire-harness retainer
8) removed all three 15mm mounting bolts

The bracket is now loose, but i can only get it pulled back so that flange end is flush with the firewall inside the engine compartment. Looks like it needs to come back another 1/4" to 1/2". There's gotta be a trick to this.

Here is an internet photo of a busted out flange (bracket is shown still bolted to the firewall) that looks like mine

Last edited by nw chev; 03-19-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:27 AM

Did you turn it 45 degrees counter-clockwise and pull. And the pedal rod is disconnected?

Old 03-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Beginner

Thanks, are you talking about the turning the hydraulic cylinder 45 degrees? or the clutch pedal assembly?

For future reference the new GM part numbers are:
clutch pedal with bracket 15027983
clutch pedal alone: 15019763
bracket alone: 15019762

Old 03-20-2013, 11:52 PM
Administrator

This sounds like a real puzzler Mike. It sounds like NOT too many members have gotten into a repair like this.

I hope your taking lots of pictures of your project. It would be GREAT if you could do a step by step tutorial of your repair once you get it figured out and post it up here.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:59 PM
Beginner

Goterdone. For such an innocuous task, it turned into an epic project. For example, it started raining yesterday evening. I quickly packed up, leaving my tool boxes in the cab on the seats. Woke this morning to a tool-less cab. Police report. Insurance report. Walked to the parts store to buy a ratchet, extensions and a 15mm socket. Wrangled the new pedal/bracket into place. Started all the bolts with fingers, but ended up cross threading the top bolt. That's the one that takes at 10" extension or longer. Stupidly I persisted, which I'd never do under normal stress levels. No go after that. Backed it out then tried one of the other bolts. Still no go. Took all the bolts out and then wrangled the pedal assembly back out. Tried a good bolt in the damaged threads. Nothin doing. Walked back to parts store. Bought a tap to clear the threads. Walked back to my friends place. Recut the threads. That went well. Tried a bolt to confirm the job. a-okay again. Made sure to remember the feel so that I wouldn't start cross threading again. Wrangled the pedal assmb back into place. Bolted it up. Reinstalled the master cylinder. Reinstalled the pedal position sensor. Then it was time to test it out. Turned the key. Nothing. I heard the fuel pump pressurize the gas tank. But no radio, no lights, no nothing. The dash was full out except for the SES light. But then something under the dash started buzzing in a weird way that would stop and start at odd times. Bizarre. If I turned the key from Off to Acc, then the buzz would drop in pitch. Pull the key out, still buzz. WTF man. %*$$%@, I must have really @#@%** up the wiring. Or with the side fuse cover off, maybe the thief pulled a fuse as a prank, or cause he heeded one. Looked at the fuse diagram on the co ver plate. One 10amp socket was labeled Ign. On the panel itself, there is no fuse in it. Pulled a fuse from a slot labeled Radio and tried in the Ign slot. But there were no terminals to grab it. Wait a minute, the fuse diagram doesn't match the actual panel!!!!! $%*%$$, *$*&*@#, and $#@*##@. Ok. Maybe the thief messed with the dash board wires sitting exposed on account of the lower dash panel being pulled. Sat and fretted. *%##%#@% and other explicatives. I investigated where the buzzing was coming from. The first object I touched was vibrating. It was an electrical relay mounted on the back side of the side fuse panel. I tried to remove it to read the printing and part number. No go. Borrowed a small camera, set the flash to on. Took a picture of the printing. It read Combined Flasher. The Haynes manual says that'd be the hazard/signal flasher. Okay, well then, maybe the battery is dead. Disconnected the + and - cables. Borrowed a charger. Set it to 6amps. Hooked er up. Cleaned the bolt-terminals. Took a 30 minute breather in front of the fireplace. Removed the charger, reattached the + and -. Cranked right up. I don't know what your last couple of days have been like, but believe me, you had it good.

Last edited by nw chev; 03-21-2013 at 02:49 AM.