Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold air intake; Good or Bad

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Default Cold air intake; Good or Bad

I have a 97 silverado, been reading some good an bad things on installing a cold air intake on it. If its a good or bad thing let me know, is it a noteable difference in fuel or power?

Old 02-11-2011, 07:33 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I am sure some will disagree, but I say they aren't worth the money on an otherwise stock engine. The only one's that supposedly make a difference are the high end ones that block the heat from the engine from being sucked in. I have had them and to me the only difference was the noise they make. You can hear the motor sucking air. Personally, I would just drop a free flowing filter in the stock location and make sure it stayed clean. If you want to test it without spending money remove your filter and drive down the road (not a dirt road). Just drive a mile or 2 - you won't get any more free flowing than that! Make sure there isn't any crap laying at the bottom of your air box that might get sucked up. Also remember a CAI isn't going to flow as well as no filter so if you do imagine more power realize with the CAI installed it will be less.
You can get a custom tune for less than a good CAI and you WILL feel the difference.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:34 AM

Awsome thanks, how about chips for the engine whats your take on that?

Old 02-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Nooo to chips, Custom Tune!

Old 02-12-2011, 09:55 AM

why no chips?
I LOVE my cold air intake. Vehicles cost money. I only paid 300 canadian. I also have a back up filter. I have to change it every 3 months. But the gas mileage that I save is ridiculous. The sound is soooooo sexy! Its hot! I highly recommend it!

Old 02-12-2011, 11:09 AM

Chips will give somewhat 5 HP, where a custom tune will give up to 25 HP. Trust me I know!

Old 02-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I agree with Ruffneck completely. I have had both and can personally vouch for BlackBear Performance tunes.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:03 AM

some guy on here said no chips....
ok thats cool....i still love my cold air intake...it also gives off a little more power

Old 02-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Ford and Dodge Truck Forum Moderator

i have a CAI and a diablo sport i love them both !!

Old 02-13-2011, 09:22 PM

The Diablo's are pretty descent. I've had alot of handhelds, but nothing beats a live tune when he can go in there and do whatever you want to the settings.

Quick Reply: Cold air intake; Good or Bad