Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air Intake by GM

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 07:34 AM
Default Cold Air Intake by GM

In the never ending quest to spend money that I don't need to, I have somewhat decided to get a cold air intake for my 2007 1/2 Sierra, However...I really don't want to get the dual exhaust that SHOULD accompany the CAI. I drive a lot during the day, and I don't want the loud rumble constantly droning in my ear. I know I can get quieter exhaust, but lets say that I just stick with the stock exhaust for now.
I realize that there are many CAI manufacturers out there making some pretty wild claims and I am aware that many of these claims are under perfect conditions. I am pretty sure that I want the GM one....it looks good. I have added a picture of the intake and it just LOOKS good. The main question is this. At 14.5 miles per gallon, I really don't need to decrease my mileage per gallon. If it stayed the same...well...OK. If it increased my MPG....GREAT!! Does anyone have insight (real), how this system will affect the performance and efficiency of my truck? It is a crew cab with a 5.3L and it is 2wd.

Thanks in advance for the information.

These Performance Air Intakes have an aluminum tube that will stay highly polished thanks to a maintenance-free clear coat finish. The free-breathing air filter does not require oil, which can interfere with computer sensors. The aluminum lid has the GM Performance Parts logo and is VMC'd (Vapor Metal Coated) for a durable and highly polished look.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-30-2009, 11:28 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Well I have a friend that put one on and still has the stock exhaust. He did notice an increase in MPG but cant specify exact numbers. I think the stock exhaust flows enough. I have the magnaflow with turndowns and I am already tired of it cuz I drive a lot on the highway. That drone does get to me. Puts me to sleep! But the guy I put it in for, I also 2 weeks later put in a cam for him so now he wants a louder exhaust to go with. Which helps. I think you will like it though. You can hear these motors suck that air with a smooth flowing CAI. Here's mine...

Attached Thumbnails Cold Air Intake by GM-l_0e5581ef662b4903af280cf366453176.jpg  
Old 08-31-2009, 10:42 AM

Thanks for your reply. I needed that push to step up and get it. You can tell... It didn't take much. I'll provide pics when I finish putting her in.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:39 AM

I bought it today!! Got home late from work, so at 12:00 am...I get a wild hair up my ____ to install it. Who needs light?? Light is highly overrated. Old stuff came out as instructions stated...new stuff went in just as directed. Took it for a spin...no lights on the dash..(which I was worried about), and ran great!! During normal operation, I don't hear much difference. When I step on the gas a little harder, it kicks in easier and sounds a little throatier. Kind of a "wooaahhhh!!!" I'll be able to tell better tomorrow when it's daylight and I'm awake!!! Looks good though. I'll submit pictures tomorrow. Ya know..there is one good thing to installing factory parts. EVERYTHING FITS PERFECTLY!!