Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Cold Weather Rookie

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator
Default Cold Weather Rookie

I am from Florida and moved to South Carolina 5 years ago. Up till this year our winters haven't really been too bad (I know some of you Northerners are laughing at me right now). We got the worst snow since, I am being told, the 80's a couple weeks ago and the temp was below freezing for quite a few days in a row. Anyway I had just bought the 2000 GMC Sierra 3500 that I have a few days prior to that. The morning I tried to move it was the day after the real bad snow. It would start and shut off immediately. It did this about 15 times and just when I had about given up it started and ran rough for a few seconds and then cleared up. I was thinking it had an issue, but ever since then it starts up fine. For you cold weather experts - just what causes this? It acted like something was frozen in the fuel line and it slowly thawed out as I was turning it over, but I'm not sure.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Hmm... I'd just make sure that you prime the fuel pump before starting for a couple seconds. that's always what I do and have never had a problem starting the 98 even last week when it was -10.

Also, that far south they may stick with the same blend gasoline all year long and not switch from summer to winter blend.

How cold was it?

Old 01-26-2011, 09:47 PM

It was in the teens. I am not sure if this had something to do with it, but the day before the snow I had recharged the K&N filter.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:42 PM

In New Hampshire this past week was between -5 & -10 degrees at night and my 2003 had no problem starting in the mornings..... yet.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:15 AM
Beginner

From the Canadian prairies. Nothing like cold weather to magnify any small fault.Could I suggest water left in the K&N that turned to ice? Summer blend fuel (suggested already)? Plugged fuel filter? Weak fuel pump (bad news)? Computer couldn't adjust to temp? Try to keep your fuel tank in the top half and stay away from the bottom quarter tank. This helps to leave some crud in the tank rather than the fuel lines.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:28 AM

I tested the fuel pressure and it has 60 PSI which is good. It has been cold since then and the truck fires right up. Maybe K&N related or the gas that was in it (which it had 1/2 a tank when this occured). Oh well, until it does it again I won't sweat it. Thanks for the input!

Old 01-31-2011, 01:31 PM

Hey there, Being a life long Mainah I know exactly what is happening and you already mentioned it. You have water in your gas. Most don't know that until they see cold temps. Put in some HEET (http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/heet/default.aspx) or something like it when you fill the tank. I do a bottle every other tank or so up here, and I don't run into issues.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:37 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

Isopropal alcohol is better than HEET but I have not been able to find any except in the northern states....but either on will work

Also the theory with a diesel truck also applies to gas...keep the tank full and keep the condensation out.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:18 PM

Thanks I will keep that in mind.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:58 PM
Administrator

We are under a winter storm warning. I plow snow. My fuel pump just went out. Cold Weather sucks.

Quick Reply: Cold Weather Rookie