Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

CRAZY camshaft position sensor PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 08:45 AM
Beginner
Default CRAZY camshaft position sensor PROBLEM

New member here thank you all for reading this post

I have a 2007 Silverado 2500 WT I use to plow and do lawncare last year after I bought it the truck would have a intermittent hard start that got worse so I took it to a buddy who changed the fuel pump and new fuel lines that fixed the fuel pressure problem but the hard start didn’t change so I put new plugs and general maintenance stuff done to no avail I had 3 separate computers hooked up and found it had a code for camshaft position sensor so I replaced it, and nothing so I replaced it again with one from a dealer and nothing

to clarify the truck ALWAYS starts just sometimes you gotta try for 30secs to get the timing right and it’ll fire and run perfect

took it to a shop and had them try and they did the same thing replaced both camshaft and crank sensors with OEM and nothing

so they replaced the pcm that wasn’t getting any signals and that fixed the “no signal” part but now they can get a signal from the sensors but still won’t start properly

I’m lost low on cash and desperate to figure this out

I heard from a friend he heard a similar issue was resolved when a faulty starter was pulling to much amperage making CPS go wonky

ANY and all advice and knowledge is greatly appreciated

Old 10-06-2020, 07:18 AM

Got a few questions. What size motor 5.7 liter? How many miles on it?

when you crank it over does the starter spin at normal speed or is it real slow & sluggish?

What do you mean when you say you crank it over and in about 30 seconds it starts “when the timing is right”?

I’m guessing this has an in tank fuel pump. Did you remove the fuel tank, lift the truck bed up, or cut a hole in the truck bed?

Old 10-07-2020, 10:58 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by ChiefH
Got a few questions. What size motor 5.7 liter? How many miles on it?

when you crank it over does the starter spin at normal speed or is it real slow & sluggish?

What do you mean when you say you crank it over and in about 30 seconds it starts “when the timing is right”?

I’m guessing this has an in tank fuel pump. Did you remove the fuel tank, lift the truck bed up, or cut a hole in the truck bed?
6.0 82k miles
I had the fuel pump and fuel lines replaced first thinking that was it , they dropped the tank and replaced the pump

it turns over fine and sounds and speed are good, sometimes it will attempt to start and “cough” and then you crank some more and it starts. For instance when I jump in it I’ll crank it for 2-3seconds and if it doesn’t start I’ll stop wait 2-3secs and do it again until it starts sometimes it start right up sometimes it takes a few attempts

temperature, fuel level, pumping the gas, letting the girl pump prime, turning all electronics off. None of that make a difference in the starting it’s a literal roll of the dice.

i have had the fuel lines and fuel pump/ filter
changed new spark plugs no check engine lights expect for the crankshaft sensor

I had just got off the phone today with the mechanic and he replaced the computer because after 2 days of wire tracing and square wave reading he found the computer to not get a signal, well now with a new computer it reads the sensor and gets power but still won’t get any reading from the sensor like it it’s the even there

sorry for the long reply trying to answer all the questions you might have