Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DAMN TRUCK! sputter sputter die!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 01:09 PM

Found a local shop selling a AC DELCO fuel pump (MU1613) for $298.99 out the door! The guy saw that I was calling from a government phone and asked me what branch of the military I was in, and he is going to knock even more off the price..

so, I am one happy camper right now.. The Dealership wanted 472 for the part, and then another 400-500 for install..

Old 04-01-2010, 02:07 PM

OK. Heres the deal.. I picked up a genuine AC Delco fuel pump (MU1613) from a local distributor and I walked out the door minus $263.10 in my pocket. So good deal for me.. YAY

The guy in the store told me that I would have to splice the new connector in (as MU1613 supercedes MU1516). Other than that it should be cake! I am totally stoked...

Old 04-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Good deal man...now ****** that bed off and install that puppy! Let us know how it works out.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Ford and Dodge Truck Forum Moderator

Please let us know if you need anymore help

Old 04-01-2010, 05:24 PM

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help.

I ordered new plugs and wires, cabin air filters, antiseize and some dielectric grease from summit today, so be next week it should be good to go.

Today after I spend some time with my boy, I am going to open up the line and turn the key on just to be 100% sure its the pump. That being said, while I am down there I am going to replace the filter.

Do you suggest replacing the filter before or after the pump?

Old 04-01-2010, 10:59 PM

OK, So here we go.. I took the old fuel filter off 20 minutes ago. While I had it off I turned the key to the "on" position and the pump whined and pumped out gas!

I thought that was great! So I (for a second) thought that maybe the fuel filter was just clogged and thats why the truck wasn't running very well and then stopped.

I install the new filter and prime the system several times (5 or 6 times) and I go to crank the motor.. It caught for a second and then died out...

I called my wife down to crank it over while I was under the tank to listen.. I cracked loose the lines again and witnessed the fuel pump working, pumping gas all over my arm..

I hook the lines back up and tell my wife to turn the key on. She does and I hear the pump start strong and then lag down and stop and then I hear the relay click off.

So I tell her to do it again and the pump did not pump at all.. So it HAS to be a weak pump.. The fact that its working under no load is great, but not great enough.. Will undertake the pump job tomorrow, weather permitting.

Last edited by HarderThanRocks; 04-02-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:16 AM
Ford and Dodge Truck Forum Moderator

ok good luck !!

Old 04-02-2010, 07:53 PM

Done and Done... too easy..

I unbolted the bed but left 2 in on the Pass side. Tilted the bed up and secured with a jack stand on the frame.

Disconnected lines and connections. took off the ring and yanked out the old pump.

assembled new pump, dropped it in put the snap ring back on..

Spliced in the new connection. I used solder and shrink wrap instead of the crimp connectors it came with. snapped everything back together..

Turned the key on heard the pump kick on (small sigh of relief) cranked the motor over and she came to life! Good to go.. Took her out for a fresh tank of gas (never going under 1/4 tank again). Re-Flashed the ecu and we are back in business..

Reinstalled the bed and everything is good to go except for the tail gate.. It wont open....

Much thanks to everybody that helped me figure this out!

Old 04-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

That's what we like to hear - success stories!!!! Let us know what the tailgate ends up being. Probably jammed from sitting at that angle. Might need to tweak the bed sides out a bit.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:15 PM

The tailgate issue was a little green issue..

That dang $12 little green clip broke or fell off or something so I replaced that and the tailgate is working fine..