Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

De-Sceened MAF Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 05:26 PM
Default De-Sceened MAF Questions.

I installed a cold air kit, and durning the process I attempted to de-screen the MAF. It didn't happen. The last time I de-screened one was on my LT1 Z28. It had a snap ring and was a piece of cake. My 04 Z71 did not have the same snap ring. I didn't want to just destroy the unit so I left it alone. Those of youwho have de-screened yours, how did you do it without damaging the sensor?

Old 11-26-2007, 05:29 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: De-Sceened MAF Questions.

I used a 5/16" nut driver and pushed it out from the sensor side. Did not mess the screen up one bit.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:36 PM

ORIGINAL: hunt4game29

I used a 5/16" nut driver and pushed it out from the sensor side. Did not mess the screen up one bit.
Did you feel like it was stamped or welded in? When I attempted to push it out, the screen started to come apart. It seemed to me as though it was welded in around the perimeter of the screen. BTW, nice looking truck, Green and Tan? My last one was Green and Tan.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:43 PM
TruckForum Addict

Its blue and tan. But yes it just can right out i cant remember everything because its been a few months now.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:56 PM

ORIGINAL: hunt4game29

Its blue and tan. But yes it just can right out i cant remember everything because its been a few months now.
Ok, thanks. If I get the oppotunity to take the Cold air kit apart again, I'll give it another try. Thanks again

Old 11-26-2007, 08:20 PM

mine came out easy as well. I had to destroy the screen but it came on out. It is not welded, just a tight fit. I tried to removeit without destroying it, but could not. I used a thin flathead screwdriver to pry up the edge, then grabbed it with a pair of needlenose pliers and twisted it as I took it out. I would just push it out from the sensor side.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:30 PM

I'm a newbie to the Chevy's, just picked up a 2K Tahoe last month. What do you do when you de-screen the MAF, what benefits does it provide, any drawbacks?

Thanks.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:04 PM
TruckForum Addict

It just helps to remove a little resistance from the intake. The only thing I noticed was a tiny bit of throttle response and a slight change in exhaust tone.

I also used a flat head screw driver and very gingerly dug into the screen around the edges and basically cut threw the screen about half way around then pried it out with the screw driver. If I was gonna do it again I would also probably just push it out from the other side with a ratchet handle or something. You gotta be ginger though. There definately is no away around destroying the screen but I haven't noticed any ill effects since removing it so I say go for it.

Descreen MAF+drop in K&N air filter+ cut open front of air box= lots of more power!

Old 01-16-2008, 04:10 PM

Just be careful with the probes as they damage easily.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:23 PM

But, you gotta wonder...whats that piece there for?
I plan on keeping my stock Delco filter so I shouldnt have to worry about particles getting past the filter but I dont want to hurt its dependability in any way.

BTW, the MAF sensor can be removed by 2 hoseclamps of some type holding the outside hose to the inside one, correct?

Quick Reply: De-Sceened MAF Questions.