Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Descreened MAF

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 07:40 AM
Default Descreened MAF

wondering if anyone has gotten an engine check light for removing the screen from the MAF? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:48 AM
Default RE: Descreened MAF

Did you bump or break anything when you removed the screen?

Old 10-24-2007, 07:55 AM

haven't done it yet, read about it on other forums. sensor issues i'm geussing caused by the increase in airflow. even with the granatelli MAF. any insights? is the benefit of removing it significantly noticeble?

Old 10-24-2007, 08:02 AM

If your worried about it then I wouldn't do it. Its more than likely that the person scratched, bumped, or broke something in the sensor and in turn it threw an error code. I took my time and was very careful not to even touch anything on the inside of the sensor except the screen. When I put it back in it ran just fine.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:05 AM

Oh and if you have an intake or at least a high flow air filter, then it is noticable. Might not be if you have a bone stock setup with a paper filter. You'll notice some spunk coming off of idle and especially when you mash the gas. Not dramatic difference, but its there. When it comes to aftermarket MAF sensors, sometimes you get too much air to the engine and it might knock, but I'm not sure about engine codes. What engine do you have? 5.3?

Old 10-24-2007, 08:17 AM

i have a 4.8 and it's a 2000. so if yours is a 99 then it should be okay for me. i was gonna buy one for 370 anyways and if it has the same risks as removing the screen then i sure as hell don't want to spend that money. it can go towards my lift kit.
thanks jcb.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:21 AM

Welcome. You will get a gain from the aftermarket MAF sensor more so than the descreen mod. However, for $370 you could buy a decent exhaust sytem and a high flow air filter. Do the mod with those and you'll get a bigger gain than just the aftermarket MAF sensor alone for about the same amount of cash. Also, check out the free mods list posted in this forum. On here we can get you faster for less. Lol.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:33 AM

that's where i got the idea from. before i read that i really was gonna spend that money. oh and i already have a highflow filter and flowmasters. i didn't change the intake because it was going to move the MAF and that worried me. so i'm gonna try it and it should be significant gains considering no money down. oh and one more thing. how should i drill the air box aka swiss cheese it. what size bit?

Old 10-24-2007, 10:03 AM

Duh, I guess If I would have read your description there! Lol. The bigger the better (fewer holes to drill). As long as they are forward facing holes you'll get the ram air effect. You might want to ask someone who has tried it tho cause I never did (Try a new post) Honestly the air intake tube itself is restrictive but the air box will work especially with the swiss cheese holes. They make and sell just the tube if your interested in that. As long as the tube is the same length you'll be fine.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:17 AM
TruckForum Addict

I wouldn't swiss cheese it. I would cut a slit in the front of it just below where the air filter lays. That's exactly how the Free Mods List says to do it and you'll probably notice quite a difference doing it like that. That's what I did. I also did the maf descreening. It does increase performance but only like 1-2hp at most. You'll notice it but only at wide open throttle. That's just one of those mods you do out of shear boredom just for kicks and grins. It's not hard at all, just use a small flat head screw driver and kinda tear/cut a slit around the outside edge of the screen about half way around it and then pry it out. Just go slow and don't stick the screw driver through the screen and you'll be fine. I was super worried about it but I didn't have a problem at all.

Quick Reply: Descreened MAF