Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

descreened maf sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 05:32 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: descreened maf sensor

That's not true, it has nothing to do with catching stuff that might get past the air filter. I had a WELL educated technician explain it to me.I don't remember how he worded it but basically it supposed to do something to the air to make the MAF read it correctly. He said it is common for people to remove them but it could cause problems with the MAF measuring the air intake correctly and didn't recommend doing it. Most everyone on here says it helps to remove it but I remember when I first registered here there were a couple guys saying they had problems due to removing that screen. I really wanna remove mine, but I'm still kinda hesitant to do sobefore having the money to replace it should something fail.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:49 PM

i agree 72 im kinda the same way i hate to remove it and have problems and that thing is not cheap i bet.. hate to have to put another couple hundred bucks down on something i screwd up...bill

Old 08-23-2007, 06:29 PM

My brother has an '01 camaro and found a piece of a zip tie between the filter and screen, that is probably human error.........or he has a magic hole in his filter.
Aftermarket MAFs does not have a screen.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:10 PM

Charger - there were a few guys on here when you came around that stated they had problems, but then found that after they cleaned the sensor it was fine. They had also put on oiled filters at around the same time and the oil was the problem. Please state the full story when you tell of issues other members may have had. No one here has had an issue in the time Ihave been here that was related to removing the screen. As far as the sensor not working right without the screen, I have never heard of that so I cannot comment if that was part of the purpose, but there is no way it can affect the function of the sensor. It is just a screen. Also of course the ech is going to say not to remove it, that is probably what he is taught to say when he is trained so the dealership can make a buck (no offense to you Argon, you are a rare breed and have been great).

Old 08-23-2007, 08:59 PM
TruckForum Addict

I didn't remember what the problem was that they were having. That's why I brought it up so someone could fill us in. As long as no body claims any ill affects I'll probably be doing mine real soon.Do the granatelli MAFs have a larger diameter?

Old 08-23-2007, 09:04 PM

The diameter on the MAF just needs to be consistent with the CAI tube. There is no real difference. The aftermarket units just don't have the screen. No other advantage I can find.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:06 PM
TruckForum Addict

Well I just descreened my MAF. Only slightandbarely noticeable gain. Course it's free and every lb. of torque counts. My MAF was kind of odd looking though. It has 3 tiny little circuitry looking things that connect the 3 or 4 stems together. Are those the actual sensor portion of the thing? It would be REALLY easy to break this! I was so hesitant but I went ahead and sucked it up. Wasn't hard at all though. archerynut36, just go ahead man. I did it!! I'm about to go drive my truck off a bridge too, LOL!

Old 08-24-2007, 12:03 AM
Beginner

Hey thanks all for the info, I have a grannatili and i've had to clean it, also using oil type air cleaner on my CAI. To make it easy for myself not to have to search does anyone know if there is an oil less filter cone shaped to replace my k+n. my mazda ms3cai has an oil less one which is the first i've seen. Also the GMS sensor did make a difference fromaccellerating from a stop and towing a boat. I'll have to descreen my stock maf and then see what the diff is.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:57 AM

Wouldn't the granatelli MAF sensor be different in the way it measures the airflow and how it sends the signal to the ECU? Thats the impression that I was under. Just cause they claim such great gains for something that has the same diameter and function.Oh and I think the screen might also play a part in the "I never work on my vehicle or check it out" type of people. I used to work in a garage and have seen peoples airboxes loaded with crap and even one case where the air filter was so old and damp ( for reasons Im not sure about ) that it fell apart!

Old 08-24-2007, 04:04 PM

I think the gains are just due to the amount of air that can get through. I've looked as well to see if it measures a higher CFM of air, but could find no info.

Quick Reply: descreened maf sensor