Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   Dies at Idle help!!!!!!!!!!Please (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/dies-idle-help-please-6361/)

jcbst12 02-29-2008 08:49 AM

RE: Dies at Idle help!!!!!!!!!!Please

It blows my mind when people have such major problems with their trucks. I am on my second GM truck and I beat the hell out of them both and I've never had anything that serious happen.

rcroll3: R U sure he didn't just neglect the damn thing?

rcroll3 02-29-2008 09:02 AM

he just bought it 9 months ago from a Dodge dealership he is 56 he babys it light on gas changes oil every 3000 miles and now this he vows to never buy chevy again he says a brand new dodge with the lifetime warranty is the best offer out there so in 3 years he will buy one.until then we must keep this sierra running

jcbst12 02-29-2008 09:16 AM

I don't know man, all I can say is either he got a lemon or someones truck who used to negect it.

I bought mine last year with 65K on it, spent about a grand getting it up to code (tune ups, fluid exchanges, fixing little stuff here and there) and haven't had one single problem with it other than some rust. And around here, anything 2000 and older rusts so it not like it was a complete suprise. What sold me on mine is that I drove a few other trucks, including other GMs, one Yota, a Dodge and 2 Fords, all within the same year (98-02) and mine was the one with the smoothest running motor. I figure the others just needed TLC but you never know.

But I had mine gone over with a fine-tooth comb before I bought it. Did he have anyone look at it before he bought it? Like pull it apart and check it all out? I know its hard to inspect a cat (if thats the problem), but there should have been some kind of indication. Bad mpg, hesitation, rough idle, something. Not to harp, but any truck that runs that bad, despite the make and model, there has got to be a good reason.

Argon 02-29-2008 10:46 AM

the pcv valve is supposed to be empty...find another shop

rcroll3 02-29-2008 10:10 PM

ok this is the thing now they say that it needs all new coils spark plugs wires and a new pcv valve, along with pressure injector cleaning like $800 for thier estimate. i think it could just be the coils ???? What do you guys think can coils go out pre 100000 miles but i just remembered like 5 months ago he called me and said his battery was dead so i went to jump it to get it home but i open the hood to find the battery (side post mind you) has melted the threaded insert block out og the plastic i wonder if tha could have helped in anything but the shop says that the pcm reads all normal on 2 cylinders it should throw every code known right????are they pulling one over on me or are they replacing all thins hoping one of them will fix it??????

rcroll3 02-29-2008 10:12 PM

PCV vale empty from the hose side or the valve cover side ( mind you im thinking old school you know mounted in the valve cover.

rxsteven 02-29-2008 10:51 PM

Yeah Id do it myself for the price of parts its all pretty easy and if you need help and cant get it here in time go get a Haynes book then you will have all the imfo for 20 buck plus they have trouble shooting that might help you even more. Its hard for anyone to find the prob over the computer and a shop is going to try to make some money thats what they do or they go under.if the plugs and coil packs dont help and its not the cat then I dont know id take it to a dealer and try to get a free est.