Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Do CAIs really work or is it hype?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Default RE: Do CAIs really work or is it hype?

Great help, but I'm new with CAIs. What do you mean when you say I'll need a "tune" with a CAI?

Old 02-25-2008, 02:46 PM

Custom performance reprogram (reflash) of the computer in the truck. You can gain performance and/or fuel mileage by modifying the parameters in the PCM (Power Control Modual) which acts like the trucks brain.

All the functions of the PCM are stored as numbers in a table. Have you ever used Microsoft Access? The tables look like that that but they are all numbers in the tables themselves. Well you can modify these numbers generically with a Predator programmer, or specifically with HP Tuner software or something similar to that.

These parameters effect spark advance/retard, fuel trims, injector slopes, Power Enrichment levels, shift points, transmission line pressures, torque management, etc...

For more info on this follow the links!

https://www.truckforums.com/m_33640/tm.htm

Old 02-25-2008, 03:28 PM

BUT....a k&n or cai...REMEMBER....the butterfly restricts the air anyway....your ONLY GOING TO SEE NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCES AT WIDE-OPEN THROTTLE...as the butterfly is still limiting air intake...yes,it helps SOME extra air sneak past a partially closed butterfly...but your starting to pick fly **** out of pepper measuring that.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:29 PM

Now I can see why the service manager at my dealership said the warranty will cover most mods unless I tamper with the stock computer settings.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:10 PM

Yes, I agree. I think that extra air sneaking by makes a difference, but moreso than most would think. Kinda like putting a bigger tube on a shop-vac. You'll notice the engine rmps fall slightly because it struggles a little less. Now I don't think its all night and day but getting the best bang out of a gallon of gas is getting more important as the price keeps climbing.

Oh and most of those companies who sell CAIs and stuff like that, tune their vehicles in some way to get the full hp that they promise on the box.

Moose: Well if you think about it, someone could easily ruin a good engine by going crazy with these settings.

I'm gald a tweaked mine because around here these trucks need more low end and less shifting. But I also did anlot of research first. Before I tuned mine, I swear the damn thing shifted like 50 times, up and down on the way to work. Its only a 20 minute drive with 4 stops!

Old 02-25-2008, 07:31 PM
TruckForum Addict

ORIGINAL: jcbst12

You know you are in the wrong profession when you can't explain a program you wrote but can explain why the bosses VW pings after his son put an intake on it. Lol.

I used to be an apprentice tech at a VW dealer and thought I'd give you a little heads up about this. VW electronic parts suck royally and are constantly tearing up. Various sensors ie: crash sensors, temp sensor, seat belt sensors, MAFs, and a dozen other or so are regularly replaced. The #1 cause for a faulty MAF in a VW is a CAI. It's possible the reason that car is pinging is because the fuel mixture is totally out of whack rather than just a little off. Tons of people run those things with CAIs all the time with little side effectshowever so there may not be anything wrong with it just yet.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:16 PM

get a CAI, your love it.. wheather its the sound or the feel, your love it.. I love mine, especially when I paid $0.00 for it..

Old 02-26-2008, 08:19 AM

What is comes down to on his VW is it needs a tune up. It has 100K on it with the original everything. He did tune it up and it ran much better. But while we are on the subject, when he floors it, sometimes it wants to stall, or it just hesitates real bad. He beats the hell outa the damn thing but I can't figure out what is happening that would cause this without an idiot light comming on. Any ideas?

Old 02-26-2008, 08:45 AM

Maf or fuel pressure

Old 02-26-2008, 08:46 AM

turbo or n/a?

Quick Reply: Do CAIs really work or is it hype?