Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 03:15 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default drain plug

Before I attemp to undo the transmission drain plug in the futureis there any good advice? Is it a good idea to drill out the threads and add a real bolt to it instead of the stock bolt?
And is there a trick to checking the transmission fluid? Everytime I check it it shows low or over full? I complained to the dealership about it checking low and adding a quart of transmission fluid... they just said it was fine.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Default RE: drain plug

My bolt wouldnt turn and I didnt want to break the head off so I just dropped the pan a little at a time. Also you might have to move the shift linkage over I think I popped out one of the little white ball things and bent it out of the way. But your truck might be a little differnt. When you fill it Id start with 5 qt's check it and then add if you have to. Also the trans has to be warmed up and the engine running when you check it. Oh and dont forget to get that little rubber thing for the filter out. I didnt do it the first time I changed mine felt bad and redid it all right the secound time. And you need to clean the old gasket off real good without scratching anything up. If you cant turn your drain plug try and do it after you got the pan off. It might be easyer to work with incase you have to drill it out and retap it.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:53 PM
TruckForum Addict

Thanks guy! I am not planning on changing the fluid and filter as of yet, but I will in the near future. Were have you ended up now? Did you make your big move yet?

Old 09-17-2008, 08:34 AM

Witch one nitrous or the move back home. Well I havent done either yet I did buy a kit but no bottle yet. I told the boss I want to go home and gave him my 2 week notice. He gave me a GMC dually to drive and a gas card. So I havent drove my truck much lately.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:56 AM

Sweet.. I want a gas card..

Old 09-19-2008, 04:19 PM

have you checked your owner's manual about checking trans fluid? most have to be checked at operating temperature... and its really not hard to just drop the pan just a little at a time, more in the back than in the front, if your drain plug wont come out... a lot of vehicles now dont even come with drain plugs

Old 09-19-2008, 09:15 PM

I would recommend getting a deeper trans pan (eBay search: 4l60e derale). It doesn't take long to replace and will help the life of your trans by dropping temps.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:56 AM

Won't that bracket get in the way of the deeper pan? I could be wrong but I thought it went kind of underneath the pan a little on the passenger side? Well if thats not an issue I think I would rather do that then have an add-on cooler up front.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:36 AM

I would do both. Trans coolers are cheap and an easy install. Beats replacing the trans or rebuilding due to heat-related issues.

Bracket won't be in the way.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:12 PM
TruckForum Addict

That is all good infomration to know for the future. A deeper pan and a trns cooler. I was already planning on the trans cooler.
Damn Yankee do you reside in San Antonio by chance? Or is it a dark kept secret?

Quick Reply: drain plug