Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Dumb things we do as young drivers....

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Default Dumb things we do as young drivers....

I can think of plenty of dumbass stuff i did, but i'll just list a few.

1. When i was still in school, i believe i was 17, i had my 1968 Ford T-bird with a 429cid motor, 4 BBL carb and it had suicide doors. I was doing about 120 MPH one night with some friends and for some reason the next morning i checked under the hood and the 4 bbl wasn't even hooked up.
2. One day going to school, i passed a car doing about 100 MPH, come to find out, it was my drivers ed teacher. He just gave me a dirty LQQK.
3. This is the scariest one tho. I was probably in my 20's. I had a 1980 or 1981 Jeep CJ-5, with 35's on it, 8,000 lb winch, etc. It was a sharp looking CJ. Well my buddies and i decided to go driving some back roads, and of course we were / had been drinking all afternoon, so i decide to let my buddy drive. So we're tooling along on this back road, had i been sober or even paying attention, i'd have known where we were going to be coming out, but we're doing probably 45 MPH on this tar road, and all of a sudden, we all saw a STOP sign ahead and realized where we were, and my buddy came to an immediate conclusion that we weren't gonna be able to stop in time, as it was a side road that came out onto a main road. What it was is, it was like a 4 way intersection but it was a main road, with 2 roads branching off from it. The 2 side roads had stop signs. Well, like i said, my buddy made an immediate decision to step on it and try to cross the road. Well, he stepped on it, and just before wecrossed the road, a car/truck went by us, we literally jumped the road, and as soon as we landed, another car/truck went by, so we basically jumped a road and between 2 vehicles. I ended up bending the front axle on my Jeep, but thats minor compared to what could have happened. What we do when we are young and drunk............. Jim PS. Back in like 1994 or '95, i got pulled over for DUI, and have quit drinking since. "First 1 that falls down, DRIVES" was our MOTTO. Not proud of any of the stupid **** i've done, but its done and over with, and i have learned from my mistakes.......... Jim

Old 03-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Default RE: Dumb things we do as young drivers....

Well yesterday I was driving down a 2 lane road, speed limit 50, following 3 cars doing about 35. After 5 miles I started getting frustrated and we came to a long part of straight road where I could pass. Before we got to it I backed off a little bit then started picking up speed... I got up to about 70 and got around the first 2, I was at about 80 when I got to the 3rd car and he started crossing the center line. I had to swerve and kind of went into the dirt on the wrong side of the road. I got past him and got back on the blacktop and the truck was still a little squirley. Obviously a middle finger was in order... But after that my heart was pounding like crazy. It didn't really seem like a bad idea at first but it didn't seem like a great idea afterwards.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:08 PM

1. In my 78 Sierra, I was 4 wheeling and hita dirt road going about 35 (still in 4 wheel) and this old lady pulled out in front of me and well I pulled the wheel all the way to the left. The front right bearings went out in the hub so I was driving home, about 5 miles, on three legs, lol. It was fun and scary at the same time.

2. In the same truck, this other person decided to pull out in front of me, he was in the head-on turning lane and decided to turn when I was like 20 feet away. I was going 35 and this guy turns, hot damn, that's the quickest I've seen my truck move, lol. It surprised me how fast it turned considering it's got a smaller-than-stock steering wheel and has a lot of play.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:23 PM
TruckForum Addict

There's been a few times I thought I was gonna die in the middle of doing something stupid. One day I was riding down the highway in my mom's Grand Prix and I decided to pass someone who wasn't doing the speed limit. I had plenty of room but I guess I had the car in Drive instead of Overdrive and at the time I didn't realize that would keep the car from switching to 4th. So I floor it, get in the oncoming traffic lane, get right beside the car I'm passing and the car stops accelerating........ DOH! I'm barely creeping past this guy and the oncomeing car is coming too fast for me to react so the guy I'm passing, and the oncoming guy both made room for me to straddle the middle of the road as we all road side by side by side!!! I'm not sure I've ever been more scared in my life. The Lord takes care of his own for sure.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:54 PM

hmmmm....so many things, so little time.

#3. hade a few too many wobbly-pops at a bush party some 15 years ago. Got P/Oed at someone for something and decided to leave down the dirt road. Get to the end and get hung up on the train tracks because car sits tooo low. Get madder because the road isn't as wide as the car is long, and being not quite legal, I have no backup lights. Get the car turned around and head back to the party and the other exit. I don't remember clearly, but when I went past the party again it was in excess of 120 mph according to my passenger. only two people at the party actually saw the car go past. scary thing was on one side of the road was a brand new camaro z28, and on the other side was a new mustang gt. I missed both by less than six inches, judging by the tire tracks

#2. on my way to school one day for my automotive tech ticket, I wasn't paying too close attention and clipped a cyclist on the road with the passenger side mirror of my truck. he wasn't injured too bad, just a sore shoulder and injured pride. Too bad he was the course instructor[:@]

#1. worst ever......while coming back into town fromthe girlfriends place, I was speeding through an area of the highway just before the exit on to the main drag of the city. At 70 or so, I realizedI was about 100 yards from the turnoff (exit only lane, nowhere else to go because of medians) that somewhere in the last 30 miles, something had happened to my brakes, which were now no-existent. Fortunately, we made the corner (on two wheels I'm sure) and I only started sweating profusely a few minute afterwards. My girlfriend almost ruptured my eardrums with her screams, and drew blood when she grabbed my leg hard enough that her nails broke the skin through my jeans. The girl in the back seat wet herself while screaming, then proceded to punch me in the back of the head.

and people wonder whyI don't streetrace or even build racers anymore...........

Old 03-30-2008, 08:41 PM

That right there would scare the living S*** outta me.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:45 AM

The last stupid move I made was last year, lol. I had just gotten my 99' all tuned up and put 4 brand new shocks on her which my buddy and I did at the old garage I used to work at. After we finished we went to the bar around 9 PM for a few and were planning on going home. Well a few turned into about a dozen and we left around 1 AM. I wasn't smashed or anything, just tweaked. Well we went home via the turnpike. About 10 miles of flat smooth pavement with slighly banked turns. Yeah it was on. Using the toll boths as the starting gate, me and my buddy with his 5.0 TBI Camero were off! I had him off the start, then he gained until I hit the lovely governor. Then he flew past me. The sudden deceleration scared me so I laid off and hit the pedal again, while looking at the speedo like an idiot. Then I look up and the Camero is beind me, damn near locking up the brakes, and popo is sitting about 100 yards in front of me. I slam the brakes, but it was too late. He somehow didn't smell the booze on me or care to to the breathalizer. 97 in a 65. I was lucky there, but I got 4 points on the license and a hefty fine. One more and I can get my license pulled for a year!

Old 04-01-2008, 11:05 AM

Oh wait a have the best one ever. Same moron who burnt porta-potties down for fun.....

I had my Granada up and running great and was proud of it being my first car, that I myself had worked on and fixed up. I was 16-17 years old and still seeing the big breasted swimmer girl (see Ford Aspire story). So I am at her house and my buddy Paul shows up in his 68 Camero. He steals my keys while I am trying to get some play and takes off in my car. I go out to his Camero and the keys are in the ignition. So I shoot off after him. We get on the main highway and he is a mile or so ahead of me, so I floor it and get that 327 to sing for me. Well we hit a hill so I laid off the gas and the car slowed accordingly and I was right behind him. Well he decides to shoot up and over into the next lane (slow lane) and turn off the highway, so I follow. Well he comes up on a car too fast (in the slow lane) so he switches lanes (into the fast lane) to avoid hitting them. Well I didn't have the room, so I hit the brakes real hard. Just then the steering wheel shoots to the right and the car flies up an inbankment. I jerk the wheel to the left and it starts sliding sideways towards a tree, I aimed it at the road, hit the gas, got it onto the road but only after bouncing it across both lanes of traffic. Luckily most cars had stopped already due to the initial slide so I didn't hit anyone. But my Granada was gone. I was pissed. I took off to Pauls house using the transmission to slow down (I don't care about his car at this point), and found him and managed to strangle him Homer Simpson style until his Dad broke it up. Then I took my keys and left. He calls me later that night and just says "Sorry I forgot to tell you my left caliper is frozen up!", thanks for the heads up! ***!

Old 04-01-2008, 11:19 AM

me and a bunch of my buddies were hanging out the other night, just sitting in a parking lot as usual, and a bunch of ricers kept trying to show off around our trucks (it had been raining)... well after about ten minutes i had had enough. theres a long strip mall, and the parking lot is about fifty spaces long with a median between every two rows. i backed out of my parking spot and drove straight toward the ricers. when i got almost right on them i romped on the gas, threw it sideways, and "drifted" (its what they were calling drifting lol) the length of a parking lot row. then i decided i wasn't done. i turned the corner and headed for the main road, by this time doing nearly forty if i had to guess (still spinning tires). well damn if two little kids didn't come walking across the road from the ice cream place as soon as i made that corner. me and my buddy both looked at each other... "OOOOOOOHHHHH SHHHHH******T!" luckily the two little kids' mom was there to pull them back and give me the finger lol

dumb, but damn that was exhilerating