Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

dura max diesels

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 04:41 AM
Default dura max diesels

is this the best diesel on the market and what problems are they having

Old 09-23-2005, 10:09 AM
Default RE: dura max diesels

Q1: It is a "good" diesel engine. However, there have been improvements made from the original launch. What Year are you focusing on? Some would argue that the Cummins Turbo or Ford diesel engines offer better torque, etc.

Are you trying to find the best engine first, then decide on the vehicle?

Q2:Problems:injectors, wire-harness issues, etc. HOWEVER, depending on the dealer you use, most of these issues are being covered by warranty, or VERY minimal cost.

Check out these two links:
http://www.rv.net/forum/
http://www.gm-diesel.com

Old 09-30-2005, 02:20 AM

Thanks for replying, iam getting a 06 dura max and was wondering what some of the 05 problems were and if they got them fixed, the problems you mentioned are they all having these problems,

Old 10-31-2005, 12:08 AM

Doesn't have the Torque of the Dodge or Ford?

Maybe if your comparing the old 6.5 TD to them. The Duramax in the 1st Gen had 520Ft Lbs 2nd Gen 590 and then 605..and now the LBZ 3rd Gen has 650Ft Lbs...most ever offered in a Light Duty truck.

The Powerjoke has had alot of problems to and now the newest cummins is having soem injector issues also.

The 6.0 is decent. but if your wanting to add power they just can't hold up.. The cummins has the potential to be the baddest becuase of the market out there for it. But there is guys running 11's in Crew Cab Chevy's...The only fords doin that are gutted and single cab..they just can't compete.

The only issues the Duramax really had was the injectors. But since 04.5 they are gone. The 04.5-05.5 LLY Duramax had a few issues w/ overheating. But other than that these are awsome trucks w/ great motors. They have lots of potential and are reliable.

I have 210K miles on mine..so far it needed a water pump and alternator. No just 2 injectors...I beat the hell outta it and always have it loaded to something.

Also the Allison tranny is just awsome. of course it'll need beefing if you wanna play..but so do the others.

All in all The Chevy is a awsome truck and so is the Duramax. If you want a 06 defintley get the LBZ..the 8th digit would be a D. Thats the 360/650 version....And oh yah..she'll fly

Old 11-01-2005, 06:20 PM

my dad recently purchased a dually four door gmc sierra, 6.6 liter duramax and let me tell you, it accelerates quicker than my 5.3 reg cab half ton. it also has more torque than any other dually out there, and if you install a bully dog programmer, whew, just watch the power add up. just stock the truck can smoke the rear four tires in an awesome burnout while you're watching the dvd player inside.