Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynomax Duals

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Default Dynomax Duals

I have a 97 1500 z71 with the 5.7 Vortec. I was thinking about putting a Dynomax dual system on for a better sound and maybe better fuel economy. Can anybody tell me if this will happen? Or do I change my current muffler- it is a flowmaster, not sure which, dual in, dual out. If I just change the current muffler, what brand/model will make it louder?

Also, is it a good idea to go and drill holes into my airbox for more flow until I put an intake on? Where should they be?

Old 02-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Default RE: Dynomax Duals

hey man, listen, I do work at Stylin Trucks, and I deal with selling exhaust systems everyday as well as hearing from customer feed backs, depending on where you live, if you live in a snowy region or by the ocean where there is salt, the Dynomax wont last you more then a season or so. I do highly recommend going with something that is Stainless and spending the extra money, if you dont, youll prolly be kicking yourself in the rear after a year or so. with the fuel economy, an exhaust system is truly the way to go. you will definatly see a gain in mpgs, but take my recommendation, try to stick with stainless. if you need any help, call me at work and ill help ya out man!

Old 03-02-2008, 10:37 AM

I'll have to save up for the stainless then. I got my roomate to start my truck and give it some gas, and it sounds a lot better from behind than while driving. There is still an annoying rattle when on the throttle, like metal vibrating into something or something being tossed around in the cats?

Old 03-02-2008, 10:47 AM

Might be a heat shield.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:38 PM

Heat shield? Where would that be? It is very annoying and really takes away from the sound.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:42 PM

Noy sure on youre truck but look around the cats it would shield the heat from the body or anything around it

Old 03-02-2008, 08:50 PM

Ok, I have not noticed, but will take a better look after work tomorrow. Any fix ideas? Cut its ****ing head off? I'm always down to bust out a grinder or torch[sm=guilty.gif]

Old 03-02-2008, 10:32 PM

You kind of want to keep it try to save it bend it beat it JB weld it what ever youll see if thats even the problem. Might be a hanger, you could shake it wile is cold to try tell were its coming from. Sorry you cant bite the head off this one if it gets the floorboard to hot all kinds of bad things might happen. Most common is rust if its hot and then water hits it it will rust real fast.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:51 PM

Damn! And I hooked up the oxy-acetylene rig, getting ready to spark the torch! Ok, I'll check that out. It sounds more towards the passenger side, but not positive. Thanks for the advice!

Anything I can grind or cut with the torch??