Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Transmission Grimlins

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Beginner
Smile Engine Transmission Grimlins

Hi,
I have a 97 chevy k1500 350 vortec.
Recently had the distributor gear go out. Got a new/used distributor. Works great.
Now i have other issues since. They engine in park has a hard time accelerating past 4k rpm WOT, but if i feather throttle or just back off a bit it will. Same with being in gear WOT and the tranny will not shift unless i play with throttle. Have swapped TPS, MAF, and computer with known good parts. Still nothing.
Now more with the tranny. If im driving without WOT tranny shifts fine until i get to 3rd gear. Usually when i hit 3rd and just cruising above 20mph it will kick into neutral (it seems) if i allow it to drop past 20 it will down shift into 2nd. Today on way to work it would not go into 3rd at all. Had to drive in 2nd which sucks and hate to do that to the engine.

What you all think could be the issue?????
I have my thoughts but wanna see if any of you feel the same
Thanks

Old 10-24-2013, 08:39 PM
TruckForum Addict

My truck's trans did the exact same thing ... I'll bet you don't have 4th gear either. My number 8 check ball was pushed through the separator plate causing the clutches to burn up for 3/4.

As for the engine issue, almost sounds like how a plugged cat work?? So you stomp the petal and it doesn't wanna rev up, but if you slowly accelerate it will eventually get to the rev limiter?

Old 10-24-2013, 08:50 PM
Beginner

I hope your wrong on the tranny lol.. but as long as i can get through 3rd i had 4th. it may have went to. Wasnt able to get into third today..

Clogged cat is what i was thinking. I have knocked on the cat and they sound solid. Not sure they supposed to or not.

I am hoping that the tranny issues are from my engine problems. If the Engine not running right i hope that the tranny just getting mixed signals. Hoping and praying.
Thanks

Old 10-25-2013, 06:37 PM
TruckForum Addict

ehh unfortunately the transmission in trucks this old aren't smart enough to loose a gear due to engine issues ... maybe totally trans the shift points, but third gear should still be there even with engine issues.

A quick test for the catalyic converters is to take the 02 sensor out before the cat and see if the engine revs up better. The cat should also have about a 100 degree difference between the inlet and outlet, and if you were to get an exhaust pressure gauge, that can also tell you if your catalytic converters are plugged.