Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

errrrrrrrrrrrr im so freakin confused

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:05 PM
TruckForum Addict
Angry errrrrrrrrrrrr im so freakin confused

ok so today i went to a place that specifies in towing trailors and what not baught all new wiring for the connector
i wired it right all wires went where they were sposed to and have good conection to the plug femal end
i have the 6 pin plug
i hooked to my trailor afterwards to see if everything worked i have an adaptor as the traiolor is a 4 plug male end
anywhy the problem i am having is my left turn signal isnt working as well as the left brake light and left hazard
the marker light works but that is it
all my other lights on the trailor work but the ones i described
so is this an issue with my wireing on my truck or with the trailor
i am freaking stumped

Old 07-29-2011, 08:14 PM

Voltage meter see if the trailer end is receiving power (at the light) and if the truck end is sending power

Old 07-29-2011, 08:21 PM
TruckForum Addict

thanks ill try that here in a bit as i have to figure out how to get to the wireing to that light as its been re wired at some point or another

Old 07-29-2011, 08:32 PM

Worst case scenario, just trace the wires back on the turn signal. Usually it's a grounding issue. Don't forget that power actually runs in reverse back through the ground to make a connection. Check the ground for that left side and check both front and rear.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:50 PM
TruckForum Addict

well i figured it out man am i p**sed off
the adapter i baught and paid damn near 25 bucks for to convert it from 6 to 4
well its it its got yellow and green and white runing to it
the problem is that the prong inside the adaptor only has the 3 the green doesnt even have any female end in it wtf looks like ill be makeing my own soon

Old 07-29-2011, 09:01 PM
TruckForum Addict

nope not the adaptor i just rechecked it with a multi meter reading o.o ohms thru the green yellow and white with just the positive conected to the fememale end of the 6 plug part and the negative into the female side of the 4 way adapter

Old 07-29-2011, 09:01 PM

Either that or convert your trailer. Honestly, the cannon plugs are much more useful than the 4 wire flat.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:04 PM
TruckForum Addict

also its not really my trailor i am barrowing it with the understanding that whenever the owner needs it they can use it so i kinda own it but kinda dont
thats why i am not converting it also another question
i traced a blue wire from my old plug to under my dash that is for the electric brakes that used to be on the truck for the trailor also there where black and white wires with that also all zipp tied together
white is ground black is power so if i wanted to put the brake controllor on where should i hook the power to does it have to go to my brake light switch so when i step on the brake it activates

Old 07-29-2011, 09:10 PM
TruckForum Addict

ok so its not my damn truck i asked the grandson of the owner of the trailor and he said that that side has allways been like that

Old 07-29-2011, 09:20 PM

I wouldn't worry about it then. In reference to your brake controller, yes, it does feed from the brake switch but it should also have a constant power wire to charge the system

Quick Reply: errrrrrrrrrrrr im so freakin confused