Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Exhaust Change?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 02:18 AM
Default Exhaust Change?

Hey yall i was thinking about changing out my whole exhaust from my headers on. I am trying to get a few ideas on what i should do and what name brand also. I would be really happy if i could get some in put from yall thanks.
Truck=2000 1500 2wd 4.8

Old 11-28-2007, 07:38 AM
Default RE: Exhaust Change?

Not sure on names, but if you want to do the exhaust from headers back, get shorties and a cat back exhaust. If you aren't worried about paying quite a bit more to get custom exhaust work done, Get long tube headers, new cats, X pipe, and two mufflers. Doing just headers and cat-back exhaust will work nicely and get a good sound, but doing the entire thing will be much more expensive and (if done right) will produce much better gains.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:38 AM

Get LONG TUBES they make much better power. Imo the magnaflow cat-back is awsome, good tone and sound, not to loud, thats what a cut-out is for! Pacesetter lt's are around 400-500 i believe and comes with a y pipe.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:53 PM

I like flowmaster for the mufflers. I have had two flowmasters. Both of them being on two different vehicles. And im going to be getting another one on my new truck pretty soon. I love them, they sound great and give good gains.

Ihave hada little expirence with headers and found that the summitracing brand headers arnt that great. I put a pair of them on my 97 and they leaked soon after getting them on. If i was going to be getting headers i would probley try the long tubes this time because i have heard that the manafoldes on the newer trucks work a lot like shorties already so the gains arnt great. Im not going to do it because of expence and you really get whatyou pay for in headers.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:06 PM

I heard bad things about Pacesetter and their inability to hold up. (Thin flanges breaking, quick rusting, ect)

Old 11-28-2007, 02:40 PM

pacesetters cant be beat for the money.my buddy has had them forever now and they havent rusted. although the gaskets that come with them are ****. i would highly recommend getting better gaskets if you buy these headers and as far as shorties and lts, lts for the win, way more hp and a little more torque than shorties. but you have to looke at what your gunna do with the truck. shorties make more low end and lts are better for up top. if you dont wanna spend a whole lot, i wouldnt even do headers because our stock manis really do flow almost as good as aftermarket shorties. just run a really nice exhaust and based on what you want there are alot of options out there. if you want good low end get something with a good bit of backpressure (catback or single exhaust) and if you want good top end get some duals.

[/align]

Old 11-28-2007, 06:39 PM

Or, get duals with an electric cutout inline inthem. That way you get backpressure off the line and open them up when high in the rpm range. Just don't do duals alone or you will be slow off the line, trust me I learned the hard way. And the top end gain doesn't make up for the lowend loss. As far as what brand, I like flowmaster mufflers, edlebrock headers.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:17 PM

I have shorty chrome headers, no cats, a two in one out dynamax to a single in aftermarket flat stock muffler out duals. It sounds very similiar to the new tahoe/escalade sound. More torque as well.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:07 AM

chevy trukin: where do you live?

All: I think we should look at where people live, what they are using their truck for and how much daily driving they do before we put ideas in their heads. Ex: Pacesetter lasts about two years here before they fall apart. If you don't drive it in the winter they will last more than twice as long! Most people around here use stainless. And if they tow or haul alot, complete exhaust might kill torque too much for them.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:49 AM

well currently i am in hammond la going to school but i actully live in new orleans la

Quick Reply: Exhaust Change?