Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

exhaust help/suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 02:13 AM
Default exhaust help/suggestions...

hey guys. i've never done any kind of modifications to any vehicle, so i figured you guys could help me.

i have a 2001 silverado 1500 and i'm wanting to change the exhaust. some people have told me to buy dual pipes and have them installed, and some have told me to just cut the existing pipe really short (butlong enough to pass inspection of course). i dont do any racing or stuff like that, im just looking for a nicedeep hum. loud, but not ridiculously loud...
does that make any sense what-so-ever? also i'm not wanting to spend a fortune. help? suggestions?

Old 01-03-2008, 05:10 AM
Default RE: exhaust help/suggestions...

Everyone here will tell you that you are going to lose some bottom end torque when you modify your exhaust, but I'll tell you to do it. It will sound awesome. If you want duals, get one of those 1 in 2 out mufflers. If you want it kind of mellow get one of the big flowmaster mufflers, likea 70 or 80 series one. If you doa search, you will find all kinds of debates on exhaust.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:49 PM

About 2 mos. ago, i had a catback system installed on my '03 Silverado w/ the 4.8L. I shopped around and found a local shop to bend and install a single in, dual out with a Flowmaster 60 series muffler, i believe it was. When i went to take delivery, WOW, it LQQKED awesome, straight out the back, and it sounded awesome. Not too loud so as not to be able to get it inspected, but has an awesome rumble to it when you accelerate, and interior resonance is okay, could get menotanous if kept @ certain RPM's all the time but, well worth the $300.00 it cost me. Can't figure out why my gas mileage got lower........... It could be from me cupping my ear, to hear it rumble when i get on er', LOL, ya think? I love it tho... wanted to upload pics but file is too big, unsure how to downsize..... Just my .02 worth, Jim

Old 01-03-2008, 05:53 PM

yeah i'd got with a single in dual out muffler and then run duals out the back... as far as which muffler it depends what you're going for... i really like the sound of the flowmaster 44's

Old 01-03-2008, 07:17 PM

chevy rules, your milage dropoff may be due to it flowing too free and you haing to add gas to make up for it. I don't think so as you did the setup right. More likely its due to getting on it more to make it loud.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:44 PM

Ya man do the single in duel out that sounds awsome. I had it done last month to my truck and i love the difference in sound, looks and preformance. I went with the flowmaster delta 40 and it is really loud out side but pretty quiet inside. But if you do go with a higher number like a 60 or so i will make it a little deeper. I just had a local muffler shop do the work for me they had the muffler in stock and got it done in a few hours. I droped it off that morning and picked it up at about 1 o'clock. And like jake said there are a ton of threads about exhaust on here so good luck.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:47 AM

If your looking for something different, go with Gibson Super Truck. The sound is awesome, the looks are unique and you can do it yourself in 30 minutes.
I got mine from AutoAnything.com for $329 shipped to my door.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5201/EE8B3D957CF04EF3A0174F0F906ED1D4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-04-2008, 09:06 AM

Hey mudder that dose look awsome. That is probabley the only exhaust that i have seen that i like coming out in front of the tire like that.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:40 AM

My wife has a Gibson catback system on her Avalanche, and dual pipes exit just behind rear wheels, on same side. It too sounds awesome. I thought the lower the # for Flowmaster mufflers, the louder they are, IE 44 series would be louder than a 60 series, and etc. I didn't want anything that was gonna blattttttt, for inspection reasoning, just a muffler with a nice deep rumble, and a unique sound when idling. The Flowmasters are awesome. I believe mine are the 50 series, but for $400.00, ya can't beat the performance gains and sound. Jim

Old 01-04-2008, 10:29 AM
TruckForum Addict

I've got mine exiting out in the same spot. I like the 3 inch tubes better though. This is actually quite a bit louder than the setup going all the way out back like most people do so if your not wanting it too loud don't get it, LOL!

Name:  Kongexhaust.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  12.8 KB

Quick Reply: exhaust help/suggestions...