Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extremely Bouncy Ride After Leveling Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Default Extremely Bouncy Ride After Leveling Kit

How's it going guys, I recently had a leveling kit installed on my 98 Z71 (looking back on it, I wish I had done it myself, but eh, what's done is done), and the ride is EXTREMELY bouncy. It feels like I'm driving a damn dump truck, especially when going over small, everyday bumps in the road. After a little bit of research, I think the torsion keys are cranked up too far. The only problem is, I have no idea where the torsion keys are located, much less how to loosen them. In case you can't tell, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to suspension components.

Do I need to take it somewhere for a special tool, or can I do it myself?

p.s. I can upload pictures as soon as I get home tonight, if necessary.

p.p.s. A picture of where the torsion keys are located would help a bunch

Old 08-21-2011, 09:03 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Here is what you are looking for...

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...mpLHnY1Nz461Mc

That bolt that faces straight down is the adjusting point. There is one on each side.
Warning!!!! Be very careful not to unscrew it all the way as there is an extreme amount of pressure on those bars. You can however do it by yourself. Jack the truck up and support it with jack stands so the front wheel are off the ground. Back that bolt out a couple turns (approximately 4 turns will equal 1" of height). Make sure you aren't getting to the point where the bolt may come out - which will have to be A LOT of turns, but I just want you to pay attention to the threads that are going through.
It will ride like a dump truck if they are cranked to high for sure. Turn each side the same exact amount to keep the truck level. Screwing those bolts in increases the height, but stiffens the ride. Usually less than 2" and it isn't too bad of a ride. I did my blazer 1 1/2" (6 turns) and I couldn't tell a difference.

Again please be very careful and if you have any doubts take it to someone - they can't charge much for a 10 minute job. Good luck!

Last edited by Mr_Shamrock; 08-21-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
Here is what you are looking for...

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...mpLHnY1Nz461Mc

That bolt that faces straight down is the adjusting point. There is one on each side.
Warning!!!! Be very careful not to unscrew it all the way as there is an extreme amount of pressure on those bars. You can however do it by yourself. Jack the truck up and support it with jack stands so the front wheel are off the ground. Back that bolt out a couple turns (approximately 4 turns will equal 1" of height). Make sure you aren't getting to the point where the bolt may come out - which will have to be A LOT of turns, but I just want you to pay attention to the threads that are going through.
It will ride like a dump truck if they are cranked to high for sure. Turn each side the same exact amount to keep the truck level. Screwing those bolts in increases the height, but stiffens the ride. Usually less than 2" and it isn't too bad of a ride. I did my blazer 1 1/2" (6 turns) and I couldn't tell a difference.

Again please be very careful and if you have any doubts take it to someone - they can't charge much for a 10 minute job. Good luck!
That worked! Thank you so much man!

Old 08-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Excellent!!!