Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Fuel/oil additives

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Default RE: Fuel/oil additives

Try some redline SI-1 fuel system cleaner. Good stuff.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:20 AM

I do alot of work on outboards and im not a big fan of seafoam. I have seen too many instances were it has broken junk loose and caused more problems then it is worth. Now we do use an aromatic soap that does and excelent job for cleaning out carbon buildup. We use it on both 2 and 4 stroke outboards. I know OMC and Yamaha both make it and i know it works well on regular vehicle engines as well. We sell it for about 8 bucks a can and its worth it. If you go to an outboard dealer and ask for a can of engine decarb or engine tuner they should know what you are talking about. I have seen times where we have run the stuff through an outboard and the next day the customer will come back and try and figure out what we did because they will bet about a 1000 more RPM out of it and 5 or more mph just from using this stuff. Fuel injected or carberated it doesnt matter just spray it into the air intake and it will work wonders.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:16 AM
TruckForum Addict

Dodge does this. The problem is we all have Mass Air Flow meters which means you can't run the truck without the intake being hooked up, and you definitely don't wanna spray that crap across the MAF. Dodges don't have MAFs so they don't have this problem.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:01 AM

Hey 72Charger. If you put that stuff in your vacuum lines on your truck, let me know. I have the same ticking on my truck (mostly when it cold) and I wanted to know what I could do to stop it. Thanks.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:56 PM

I see there is some concern with engines that have alot of milage, but what about engines with low milage that don't have the buildup. Would any of these be good preventive? I just want to prevent future issues if possible.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:15 AM

What I was told by my mechanic was to follow the recommended service intervals ( as the service manual states) with everything from oil changes to O2 sensor replacement and use quality fluids and parts. Im so obsessed I won't go more than 25 miles over the oil change or 100 miles over tranny, transfer case, differential, etc.. service and I grease my front end three times a year.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:33 PM
TruckForum Addict

Well that's good practice but I don't worry about it too much. Most people never change their diff. fluid or tranny fluid and go a long time before they ever actually have any problems with them. I just keep an eye on mine and if it looks bad I change it. I am more religious about my oil changes but that's different. I am gonna try that Seafoam on my truckeventually. It won't be any time soon though. Too hot to play under the hood right now.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:03 PM

Charger - your right about it being to hot, we just had a "cold front" move through, so we got down to 92 for a few days, WTF?

Old 09-09-2007, 03:50 PM
TruckForum Addict

LOL! It's been cooling off here in Florida a bit but that's only when it's dark outside. I've noticed in the mornings it's usually only 76F on my truck thermometer but then in the afternoon it is unbearable! Yesterday it wasn't too bad in the shade. Guess we had a no humidity day.... it only felt like maybe 80F in the shade. I got sunburnt so bad at the Emerald Coast Car Show in Ft. Walton Beach yesterday that I'm not going to be working on anything outside for atleast another month or so. Winter just needs to hurry up and get here all ready!

Old 09-09-2007, 03:58 PM

im just ready for about mid-october... mid 70s, sunny, perfect weather for being under the hood

Quick Reply: Fuel/oil additives