Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Fuel PUmp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Default Fuel PUmp?

Not sure if its my fuel pump that has gone bad on my 01 silverado 4.8l. I dont drive my truck everyweek but today when i took it out after two weeks it stalled and now it wont stay back on. i turn it on and it idles for about ten seconds then it shuts down. If i attempt to step on the gas it will shut down. Has anyone had this problem. Any ideas. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Default RE: Fuel PUmp?

Have you changed the filter? Are you getting any codes

Old 04-06-2008, 01:26 PM

I changed the fuel filter about 6 months ago. The service engine light came on for a bit but it went away. I dont havea reader.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:44 PM
TruckForum Addict

Sounds like the pump but not positive. When my dad's 00 Sierra pump went bad, his would stall out immediately after starting, but he could give it gas and it would stay running until he let go. He could also let it sit for several hours cooling off and it would start up and run fine for a bit but then go back to the same problem.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:00 PM

Yeah it dose sound like it id hate to tell you it is and then you go threw and that crap to change then still have the prob. If you do change it go with a aftermarket one.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:41 AM

when the fuel pump died in my truck it never moved again.

truck ran fine to work that day, would not start that afternoon. pump always makes a whine noise as I turn on key, did not make that noise on the afternoon it would not start. However $600 fixed it at GM dealer.

I alway carry a rubber hammer in tool box now. Many times my redneck buddy's say, you can strike fuel tank a few times with rubber hammer and pump will start running again,
get you to the the repair shop or to the big oak tree in your yard for repair.

Keep fuel filter changed about every 15K miles, dealer said that.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:23 PM

Well I made it back to the garage with the help of a couple of friends by pushing. Good thing it died down the street. I checked it yesterday after a couple of hours and it doesnt stay on at all now. Before it would idle for a few seconds before dying. I could still hear the whining sound which i beleive is the fuel filter. Ill try changing the fuel filter. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:59 PM

I had the same problem about a month ago, same symptoms. I had no experience changing fuel pumps but I banged out the swap in about 8 hours without any help. If you plan on doing it yourself, which I recommend if you want to save $600, check the connections to the pump. My ground went bad which caused the old pump to stop working. Of course I learned this after I replaced the pump. But the $200 bucks I spent on the new pump was still less than what my local shop would have charged to just drop the tank. Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:50 PM

If you get enough help you can take the bed off and do it or do what I did on my last truck and just slide the bed back a little.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:19 AM

Clean the MAF sensor just for the hell of it. See if that helps.

Quick Reply: Fuel PUmp?