Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas vs. diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 07:51 PM
Default Gas vs. diesel

What would you guys recommend for towing,
all i ussualy tow is cars/trucks and skid steer loaders,
I ussualy haul them on a 20ft receiver hitch car hauler

my truck is a 1990 Chevy Scottsdale 1500 4x4 with a 350 EFI,
Not 100% sure what the tranny is, but i do know it has the extra oil cooler in the rad

The truck seems to pull well, but I was wondering if this is to much towing for a gas engine, about 1 or 2 times a week.

Also I have a problem with no matter how I load a vehicle, the front end becomes light and I loose steering control due to ice or gravel, would a diesel engine add more weight to the front? or what else could i do to keep the wheels gripping

Old 01-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Well, no matter what truck you go with, if it is a diesel, then it will be a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup and it will be heavier all around. I feel like that amount of towing is the max for that truck, but unless the steering problem gets too bad, I wouldn't replace it. Not worth it (shrug)

What were you thinking of replacing it with exactly?

Old 01-31-2010, 09:05 AM

Well the rear main seal is leaking, I think I may have spun a bearing, and I think the head gasket may be leaking

And i also upgraded the rear springs to 3/4 ton

Old 01-31-2010, 09:07 AM

So I am planning on replacing the engine, just not sure if I should stick to the 350, or if i should go bigger, or with a diesel

Old 01-31-2010, 04:07 PM
Default Diesel

If you can afford it, I would shop around for a bit newer Diesel truck, and avoid the hassle of switching engines. - Just my 2 cents worth. - Good luck with whatever you decide to do. --

Old 01-31-2010, 04:29 PM
Administrator

I have to agree with Magoo. It is a huge hassle because not only do you have to replace the engine/drivetrain, but the fuel delivery system. Everything. You still wouldn't solve your weight problem either. If I were you, I'd save my money and buy a different truck. But, as Magoo said; just my two cents...

Old 01-31-2010, 05:31 PM

I sold my '07 Chev diesel a few months ago and bought the '09 gas. I did that because my plans changed and I was not going to be towing the load I thought I was. For raw power and torque, you can't beat the diesel with the Allison transmission. What you need depends on the weight of the trailer and the tongue weight.
I'm not sure what kind of hitch you have but if you're getting light on the front end, you probably need a weight distribution hitch. It will distribute the weight of the trailer to all four wheels of the truck and not be a dead weight on the hitch. Your truck will steer and break much better and you'll have a much safer ride.
Good luck.

Last edited by SlimJim; 02-10-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:51 AM

^^ Agreed!

Old 02-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Beginner

I have owned a bunch of different trucks and trailers, towed long distance and short, heavy and light, etc. This is what I have learned:

-You need to know how much the loads you are towing weigh, combined trailer and load. My experience is that 8K is the limit for 1/2ton trucks. Any more than this is too much for the brakes, frame, etc. Its okay for short hops but frequent towing and distance requires more truck. You should understand that a 3/4 or 1ton truck has MUCH larger brakes, a stronger frame, etc. in addition to the stronger springs.

-You need to know how much tongue weight you have, approximately with each load. The nose-up attitude is likely due to too much tongue weight on the hitch ball. General rule of thumb is 10% of the total trailer and load weight on the tongue, up to the max the receiver/ball will allow. Too light or too heavy will result in weird handling as you have experienced.

-Do you live in a flat area, or mountains? This is where gas or diesel starts to matter. A gas engine will tow fine on flat ground or slight grades. Throw in some hills and the game changes. Diesels produce a nice, fat, FLAT torque curve so they don't downshift nearly as often as gassers and hold speed much better when transitioning from flat ground up a hill.

-Do you tow long distances, or just down the street? Again, this is where diesels make a difference. The diesel will get better fuel mileage towing than the gasser. Always. But diesels are more expensive to buy and the fuel is more expensive as well.

Towing long distances, in hill/mountain country, heavy loads, the diesel is best. It also makes sense to keep a diesel for at least 100K to spread the cost of the engine over the longest time. If you change trucks every two years, don't bother if you don't need it. If you tow under 8K, not to far, maybe 50 miles or so in relatively flat country then your truck is likely fine for the job. Even if you had to put a new long block in it that is cheap money compared to changing to a newer diesel truck. If you tow more than 8K, more than 100 miles a week with any hills at all, then sell yours and get a diesel.

I owned the "red headed stepchild" of the diesel world, a GM 6.5TD in a '93 2500HD. No one liked that motor but mine went 254K without issue pulling its little heart out. Pulled roughly equivalent to a 454 gasser but at 13-14mpg with 7K on the trailer. They last fine IF you know about their idiocyncrases and take care of them. Or reach deep into the pocket for a used Dmax.

RT