Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Gear Shifter gets stuck when it is hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 12:45 PM
Default Gear Shifter gets stuck when it is hot

I've got a 1997 Chevy Silverado with the 5.7 liter engine and I've finally had a chance to work through all of the problems I've been living with during the last year(Leaking water pump, blower fan controls not working,windshield wipers getting stuck....). The last problem I've had for the last couple of years and I haven't been able to find of thread of information about it anywhere.

Whenthe weathergetswarm the gear shift will not shift out of park once the engine is started. As a work around I turn the ignition a couple of click until the gear shift is released and then I shift to neutral, start the truck and away I go. It only happens when it is warm to hot outside. It goes away in the winter.

One time, when I was in hurry and kids were being unruly, I got so upset that the shifter stuck that I ripped it right off the column. It felt good to do that but it was a pain to replace the steering column.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:19 PM
Default RE: Gear Shifter gets stuck when it is hot

it SOUNDS like the "btsi" solenoid is out...its a small motor on the side of the column that locks the shifter,and releases when the brake is applied.

get under there and unplug it (its on the right side of the column) and see if you can shift...if so,thats it

Old 07-24-2007, 11:25 AM

yeh my '98 has had a lot of the same problems that you had. I haven't had problems with the water pump but the blower fan control you can take out and clean it then use your multi meter to test it. I have the same problem with the windshield wipers though. Mine just don't start sometimes. But if you grab them while they are on they will start to move. I plan on just getting a new wiper motor. Sounds like ARGON is right with the shifter problem. But you said that you replaced the column did that fix the problem?

Old 07-24-2007, 07:28 PM

On those wiper motors, try adding a ground to the frame of the motor, that fixed my 93'. Also I have a motor for a 93' that I want to sell new in box if you need it and if it will fit.