Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Give me your input

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator
Default Give me your input

OK here is what I am thinking should be a very inexpensive cold air mod. I am sure this has been thought of before, but I haven't seen it.
I have a 2002 Silverado 1500HD w/ a 6.0 liter. What I think would work good is this...have you ever had the metal plate that your stock air box mounts to out? Well the way the wheelwell curves it is almost like a ram air device. I am thinking if a decent size hole was cut into the metal plate and then the same size hole was cut directly above it through the stock air box it would push air up and act as a CAI/Ram air device. My truck does not have fog lamps either so there are 2 slots in the bumper valance that could have a duct of some sort (I am thinking of one of those plastic tubes you use on your rain gutters to direct water away from your house) mounted to or directly behind it and force air up through the hole you cut. Now to keep water/crap out of your air box I am thinking of using a prefilter that would be mounted between the air box and the metal mounting plate. It would more than double the amount of air that is getting into the stock box and would look absolutely factory. Any ideas????

Old 07-30-2009, 02:21 PM

Oh what else is kind of cool is there is a metal plate down there that seperates this area from the rest of the motor compartment. Kind of like an aftermarket CAI heat shield, but just below the stock box. Where I would think the air temp would actually be cooler. This whole mod could be done for under $20 - all you need is the tube, a few zip ties to hold it, and a prefilter (which I am still trying to find the perfect one).

Old 07-30-2009, 04:16 PM

Sounds like it's worth a try. My Banks system has an open bottom which utilizes the air that is rammed in from between the front bumper and grill. One of our members on another site did a real cheap mod and used the tow hook area, check it out here. http://www.truckmodcentral.com/forum...read.php?t=758
He's has pictures and a parts list too. His is a 2006.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:35 PM

Wow that is just about exactly what I was thinking. I think that is actually better than having a big cone filter sucking up all the engines hot air. OK so I am not that original. I'm going to do it and let you know how it comes out.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:53 PM

Yeah give it a shot and post up over there too, I'm sure Andy would appreciate knowing someone used his idea. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:33 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

I already did that way back. I didn't notice much of a difference. I even ran it sealed off to where you could have someone give it throttle with your hand in front of the tube and almost suck ur hand in there. Logically yeah it should run better. But all I got was a dirty air filter all the time. I had to clean it every 2 weeks. All kinds of stuff was gettin thrown up in there. I just put that CAI and left that plate off. When you go down the road it pulls up cooler air. I know cuz the bottom of the cone filter would be slightly dirtier than the rest.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:43 PM
Beginner

I did exactly what you describe. I used 4" metal duct with a 90* elbow twisted off a bit to get 100* or so. Cut the fog light area with a hole saw at an angle, cut the duct pipe at an angle, they match up but not perfect. Used ziptie's to secure it all. Works fine, I get no extra dirt to speak of and the filter is bone dry even driving through the monsoons we've been having. Stock airbox and filter so far. Seems like its got a bit more sack but I drive it lightly anyway. RT

Old 07-30-2009, 08:46 PM

I am wondering with some sort of prefilter on it if it would be worth doing. I don't think I am going to have the tube sealed to the air box like the other guy did. I am thinking a larger hole in the plate and airbox with a filter mounted between them. Maybe a tube coming up and stopping a foot or so short of the box to just get a slight ram air affect. I think with it sealed like the other guy did it would suck in more trash and water. I am going to try it and if I don't like it I was planning on buying a CAI anyway.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

I had the stock air box open completely on the passenger side with the ram air tube and still got trash in there. I had my tuner hooked up and could tell from a stop and go difference in the temp drop. I also did it with the new CAI set up. Almost exact same numbers!! When I do go to the track now, I just take off my passenger side headlamp to race. After all you only need 1 headlamp and 1 brake light working at the track.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:52 PM

OK I did my own version of the mod. I took the biggest hole saw I had which was just under 4" (3 5/8 to be exact) and drilled to holes side by side (I overlapped them so it isn't exactly twice that size) in the bottom of the box and the mounting plate in the same location. I then cleaned it up with a die grinder and a dremmel so it just has a large oval through both. I found some filter material at Lowes which was actually a prefilter for a wet dry vac and sandwiched it between the box and mounting plate. I then ran a duct from just behind the bumper valance hole up to within about 6 inches of the cut out oval. I drove it for about 2 hours today and it seems to accelerate a little better. It might be just wishful thinking, but I think it helped. When I got home I checked the filter and it was still brand new - so far so good! There is a little different tone when giving it gas which is a little louder than I thought it would be, but is doesn't sound bad and once at cruising speed is quiet. So I will have to say so far I am pleased with how it came out. I had to send my Black Bear Computer back to Justin beacause my stupid dealer overwrote the tune when they did the crank relearn so hopefully when it gets back I will be even more impressed. Thanks to everyone who gave input! I will take pictures later (my wife went to the Nickleback concert tonight in Charlotte and took the camera).
Oh also I guess I only have about $12 in this mod so I don't think that is too bad! I'll be pulling the boat tomorrow and will see if it feels any different.

Last edited by Mr_Shamrock; 07-31-2009 at 09:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Give me your input