Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glasspacks after the muffler??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Default Glasspacks after the muffler??

Hey Im new here and had a strange question about exhausts-

Let me start off by saying that Im about to own a 91 Chevy 2500 v8 extended cab long bed. Im about to finish w/rebuilding the engine and I just put in a new water pump among other things so its almost ready to go and will be very "fresh"..
Im looking to modding the truck pretty good and making it look like a classic, old tough truck. I will most likely start w/ the exhaust which brings up my question thats been itching at me-
Do any of you know or have experience / is it possible to add glasspacks AFTER the muffler?? What I was going to do was go ahead and get a good exhaust shop to make me a custom exhaust w/ a Flowmaster 50 series DF muffler 2.5 inlet/outlet with a sinle in dual out catback setup and possibly weld on larger pipes after the muffler Idk about that yet.. and the biggest thing is about two 25'' glasspacks at the very end where it dumps coming out the back.
You see as many of you probably have the same opinion glasspacks alone will be far too loud, and sound yes very deep but rappy and raspy at higher rmp's. And the 50 series alone would not produce the exact exact sound Im looking for. I want a nice deep, bassy rumble but not too offensive..
I see a lot of views in this forum and not a lot of replys so if you guys could please help out that would be great!

Thanks, David

Old 07-21-2009, 09:51 PM

i think it would make it to quiet and cut down on all the noise
but who knows it might work. theres a guy around my area that has mufflers right by the tips and it sounds horrible

Old 07-21-2009, 10:07 PM

Oh really you think w/ the glasspacks on there that would happen? Deffinitely dont want that man lol. Any ideas? Im just real curious about it for some reason- maybe some real short ones right after the muffler? your Probably thinkin why dont I get a cherrybomb muffler w/ glasspacking inside lol

Old 07-21-2009, 10:49 PM

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you want to put glasspacks after a Flowmaster. Let the Flowmaster breathe and it will sound good. If you're just after a quiet system then I guess do what your wallet can handle. Maybe I missed the point, if so my appologies. The more mufflers you put in the exhaust the quieter it will be (that includes glasspacks, cherry bombs etc.)

Old 07-22-2009, 05:20 AM
Administrator

I'm not running any mufflers or CATs and I still don't think it is loud enough. Sounds great at idle, nice and throaty like the sucker is ready to go. I dunno its all personal preference

Old 07-22-2009, 12:01 PM

glasspacks after the muffler is a bad idea. The last thing you want to do is add more restriction to the system. The 50 series wont' be too loud. But, if you want something quieter that is still throaty and sounds nice go with Magnaflow.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by bigredmariner
Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you want to put glasspacks after a Flowmaster. Let the Flowmaster breathe and it will sound good. If you're just after a quiet system then I guess do what your wallet can handle. Maybe I missed the point, if so my appologies. The more mufflers you put in the exhaust the quieter it will be (that includes glasspacks, cherry bombs etc.)

Yeah man I know what your saying- I just want to find the perfect tone and sound thats all.. like I said either one by themselves just isnt exactly right, especially packs. I want it perfect and I thought glasspacks at the end would give it a nice finishing touch.
I think your right though packs probably wouldn't change tone and alter it like Im thinking. Just muffle it too much and sound strange. I might just go with SI/DO cats w/ the 50 series on there, a performance intake and some big ol long tips maybe dual turndown tips that would look badass Ive never seen it before. That would probably make a real nice sound. Any suggestions though?

Old 07-22-2009, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by 92chevysilvy
I'm not running any mufflers or CATs and I still don't think it is loud enough. Sounds great at idle, nice and throaty like the sucker is ready to go. I dunno its all personal preference

LOL not many things louder than runnin straight pipes all the way back- did you dump yours over the axel? If runnin straights I dont really see why anybody wouldn't I like a dumped sound but the look of a dual exhaust w/ big pipes and tips comin out the back or sides is just too appealing for me .
I heard this one setup w/ I think JBA headers and true dual FM 44's w/ gutted cats it sounded loud and phenomanal

Old 07-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Administrator

I have straight pipes going all the way from the y pipes, then right before the axle they split and come straight out the back into dual Chrome tips cut on a 45. I love it!

Old 07-23-2009, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by David.C 91 2500
Yeah man I know what your saying- I just want to find the perfect tone and sound thats all.. like I said either one by themselves just isnt exactly right, especially packs. I want it perfect and I thought glasspacks at the end would give it a nice finishing touch.
I think your right though packs probably wouldn't change tone and alter it like Im thinking. Just muffle it too much and sound strange. I might just go with SI/DO cats w/ the 50 series on there, a performance intake and some big ol long tips maybe dual turndown tips that would look badass Ive never seen it before. That would probably make a real nice sound. Any suggestions though?
Yeah I know what you're saying now. I've always been a Flowmaster guy myself and have always liked that aggresive sound. I finally put a SI/DO Flowmaster system on mine a few months ago and I love it, not too loud not too quiet. Good luck though it can be a real PITA. You can check on youtube though there are alot of videos of people showing off their systems, it may help some.

Quick Reply: Glasspacks after the muffler??