Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Glow plug and turbo delay

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Default Glow plug and turbo delay

Hi. I'm new to this forum, and I just bought my first diesel truck...an '07 Silverado 2500 HD. I am getting a remote start that has options to delay the start for a variable amount of time to allow the glow plugs to heat up. Currently it's 80 degrees where I live, so I have no way of knowing how much time I will need in the dead of winter to allow the plugs to warm. From what I understand the newer trucks don't need much time, but I don't know if that means I should set the delay for 3 seconds or 60. Does anyone know how long it takes the plugs to warm up on this vehicle when it's below zero outside?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions as to how long I should allow the car to keep running to cool down the turbo before killing it? This delay is also an option on the remote start. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:54 PM
Default RE: Glow plug and turbo delay

It probably won't take too long, i would say no more than 15 seconds. Depends on how cold it gets during the winter time. From my experience with an older model powerstroke, it doesn't take very long at all for the glow plugs to get the fuel warmed up. Its rare for it to get highs in the 20's here though.

If it gets that cold where you might need to consider plugging it in at night, because glow plugs will drain a battery pretty well.

As far as the turbo goes I'm not sure to the answer of that question and I've never heard of this being a problem. I think as long as you've not been hot rodding your truck it shouldn't be too big a problem. I'm not sure.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:38 AM

We have an 06 GMC 2500 HD with the duramax in it and the manual glow plug delay NEVER lasts longer than 6 seconds in West Michigan. EVER. The glow plugs will shut off by themselves once it is warm enough so going 6 would be the best scenario in my opinion.

We never do anything about "cooling down the turbo" and haven't had a problem yet.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:33 AM

Interesting. Supposedly the '07 models warm up even faster. Thanks for the info.