Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMC Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Default GMC Exhaust

I just got my '09 GMC Sierra Extended Cab.

I was thinking about putting an exhaust on it, I want it to be a bit louder. Only thing is I dont want something thats gonna blow my ears out while going fast. Just want it to sound bad ***.

Any advice? Whats the best way to go about this?

Thanks guys.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:20 PM

as long as you keep your cats on nothing is gonna blow your ears out or even give you a headache. lol

I suggest a Magnaflow... 18"-20" single in dual out. thats the first muffler I ran on my truck and I liked it at the time but I eventually decided to go louder and louder.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:53 PM

ive owned two half tons, they where both the same year and same model. one had cats and one had glass packs, i personally like the glass packs better, they are a little lower pitched. as for the cats they like to be heard, when i go to work they can hear me from about a mile away. i would say go glass packs.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:32 PM

If your truck has active fuel management, may want to do some research. I searched and searched regarding dual exhaust on my 07 sierra vmax and found that when truck goes to 4 cylinder mode, sounds like crap. The particular set up I was reading about was using flowmaster and the guy was hyped with his first couple of posts and after a month, he took it off because it sounded so bad when it switched to 4cyl. I am still trying to find more info so if anyone has some, lay it on me!

Old 05-13-2009, 07:25 AM

i have flowmaster 40 series with 2.5 inch tail pipes and 3.5 inch straight cut tips with no cats straight out the back,if you really want to hear it i'd suggest that the tail pipes before the back tires.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Here is mine with a magnaflow single in two out. In front of the passenger tire no cats.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:03 PM
Beginner
Default Active Fuel Management

I recently bought a 2007 1500 Sierra with the 5.3 AFM... I searched for an aftermarket exhaust. I bought the Dynomax 19468.. Holy crap that was awful...I had it back off in 6 days. When the engine drops to 4 cylinders it vibrates in the truck w/without the window down. The sound reminds me of the flutter some diesel trucks make that are modified, but the sound is inside your truck.. I called Dynomax myself and they said they would not suggest this system for the vehicles with AFM.. This system was also on he economy end of the choices but I would not buy again unless I could hear it first.. Also, Jegs too it back without any problems...

Old 05-28-2009, 12:26 PM

I own a 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab with the Z71 Package. I have been researching for months now and have been looking for the best bolt on application for my truck and narrowed it down to two systems. One is the Magnaflow system (http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=all&id=5680) and the other is the Corsa System (https://www.corsaperformance.com/cor...?id=128&type=2). Its hard to choose because they both sound really good, but its the price that makes the big difference as the Magnaflow is 1/2 the price of the Corsa system. They are both stainless steel so they both will last forever. It really comes down to the sound. Personally I want it as loud as it can be.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:25 PM

what about emissions tests when you don't have the Cats on? I believe in Ma. they check to see if you have them... I would love to get rid of mine and have a nice sounding exhaust too but....

Old 05-31-2009, 09:05 PM

On my last truck i just took the cats off and torched out the insides and put them back on. it sounded decent and when i was pulled over for loud pipes i didnt get a ticket since they where still on.

Quick Reply: GMC Exhaust