Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Got a line on a repo auction for a 96 Chevy

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Default Got a line on a repo auction for a 96 Chevy

Alright guys,

I was browsing one of the repo sites from around here where they have online auctions and sell the vehicles at no reserve and I found "the truck". I am not going to disclose the site, because I want to buy this truck and one of you guys might try to outbid me, haha.

1996 Chevy C-1500 work truck regular cab shortbox
Bergundy paint with no rust or body damage
101000 miles, it checks on carfax
clean title
gas-saving 4.3 litre automatic
clean interior and exterior
scores a 70 on carfax report
newer wheels
Running lights on the cab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![sm=groupwave.gif]

Alright guys, I talked this over with my grandfather and Iam prepared to give $2000 for this vehicle sight unseen. Starting bid is $150

So ladies, am I being a bit premature in this, or should I jump on this baby right away

The auction starts on monday at 8

Old 03-21-2008, 10:50 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: Got a line on a repo auction for a 96 Chevy

Don't do it man. Sounds nice and it's probably a really good deal but you'll be less than satisfied with a 4.3 V6 in a full size Chevy. They're not bad engines. A lot of guys on here that have them say they like there's. But honestly, it's not gonna get much better gas mileage than the V8 is and it's not gonna do nearly as much work. If your just looking for a daily driver and have not intention of working it, then go for it. Sounds like a steal if you can get it for that price. Just don't get too hyped about it and get into something your probably gonna be disappointed with later on down the road.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:24 PM

While I am watching the Nova game,

I plan on just using it as a daily driver and throwing stuff in the back. I was looking for the 4.3 anyway because I know it has alot of low end torque and I don't plan on haulin *** or trailers.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:13 AM

Carfax reports mean nothing imo. They only report if the vehicle has been in a accident. Nothing to do with the mechanical condition or any repairs done by a non Gm dealer.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:35 AM
TruckForum Addict

They also aren't always gonna tell you whether or not the vehicle has indeed been in an accident. Think about it, somebody rear ends someone else and he/she is driving on an expired license so they rush to the house and hide the vehicle. Later they take it to a friend who happens to be really good with paint and body work and get them to fix it up so that it's cosmetically sound. That stuff happens all the time actually.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:04 AM

Well, worst case scenario, I buy it for less than it is worth, don't like it and decide to sell it. The auction site thorouly checks the background of the vehicle and they have a mechanic look it over and such. I might just go over and look at it on monday before I bid

Old 03-22-2008, 09:58 AM

Id go for it man like you said you can always sell it and at the very least get youre money back. Who knows it could be a real steal. I mean used car dealers get deals like that all the time. Look at how much people get on a trade in most of the tjme it aint much. The dealer dosent lose anything selling them cheep *** hell. But dont get youre hopes up to much. They have programs for pc's that bid like 5 cents higher then the highest bid at the last fraction of a second. If you ever watch a big ebay idem at the last secondit will change really fast like drdrdrrdrdrching its over.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:49 AM

What I did, is I placed a pre bid of 2000 so that it will automatically make me the highest bidder up to 2000 dollars. I think I can get it for $1000, just because most people don't know about it and an identical truck of year 95 went yesterday for $850 and it was a 4 wheel drive.

72Charger- Whenever I need to haul or work anything, I'll just use my mom's 2006 GMC Sierra 3/4 ton Duramax Diesel with the Alison Transmission and a crew cab. THat SOB is a BIG TRUCK

Old 03-22-2008, 09:02 PM

The 4.3 will be fine if you don't plan on pulling much of a trailer. Personally, I would look for something different- it doesn't have 4 wheel drive. I will never buy a truck without it.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:34 PM

So far, there has been nine bids and the price is up to $1,375. I talked to the owner today, and he said he bought it in 2000, put 20,000 miles on it since then and there is no rust to speak of at all. THere is still 4 hrs left so I will wait a while to bid

Quick Reply: Got a line on a repo auction for a 96 Chevy