Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Head Gasket Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Default Head Gasket Tips?

1992 C1500 2x4 5.0L 305CID Automatic

So I'm looking for any tips and knowledge with changing a head gasket. Please feel free to type as much as you want

The issues: Intermittent misfiring and consistent stuttering @ stoplights and accelertaing (now it does it all the time)... trade-off between smelling raw fuel and exhaust. Now I smell a little burning coolant. The o2 sensor was coated white (another sign?). The oil looked fine when changed (no white, natural colour) and the coolant colour looks fine (didn't flush, just looked through the cap). Before smelling coolant, code 34 and other things led me elsewhere, but I'm pretty confident it's a gasket issue at this point. I suspect it blew on the passenger side...... i hear a little extra lifter noise around there, just a guess though.

Thanks!

Old 08-04-2011, 05:04 PM

white coated O2 sensors is antifreeze or a clogged cat which can cause white O2 sensors and really poor performance

Old 08-04-2011, 07:10 PM
TruckForum Addict

Honestly speaking, your 305 sounds like mine. Doesn't suttter per say, but it'll stall when shifting from reverse to drive while the engine is warm, and idling nice and low. I get a code for the PRNDL, so I don't know if it's related.

Back when my dad had the truck, which is now mine, he said that when they replaced the engine, they had issues with it running right. They replaced the distributor and it ran fine after. The bushings had worn out apparently. Perhaps look into something like that. Be sure your timing is set correctly at what is indicated on the sticker on the hood cowl. Mine says 0(zero) degrees. Check your spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor, clean throttle body and check for gasket leaks around the TB. Could be TPS related.

I'm just thinking at you here, so take it for what it's worth. As far as doing the gasket its self, just make darn sure to replace the head bolts and use a proper torque wrench and torque them properly. There's some kind of spiral pattern you're supposed to do when torquing, but it's been too long and I can't remember. Just pick up a haynes manual from autozone and it'll have a section in there for head gaskets.