Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   headers really worth it? (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/headers-really-worth-4562/)

street silver 1 09-19-2007 09:07 AM

headers really worth it?

I want to do my exhaust and dont want to blow money on headers if they really dont give me much more performance than my stock manifolds.Hi flo cats into 1 muffler and duals out the side before my rear wheels nascar style.What you guys think?

gpet6669 09-19-2007 09:09 AM

RE: headers really worth it?

Headers will help, they always will. It all depends on what type of power you are after, as to what type of headers that you will need. Long tube help with more torque, shortys will help more with HP. But both will add to both types of power, one just more than the other. Like I said it's all what you want.

jcbst12 09-19-2007 10:14 AM

Headers are a good upgrade. They are pretty expensive but you have to consider the fact that not only will it give you more hp, but it will sound better and have a more 'pronounced' power band. (More hp over the entire rpm range) I wouldn't do high flow cats because they don't make that much of a difference (if any) especially if you do headers. Shorts are good and less costly to put in, but long tube headers are better (from what I've heard from my buddies who run the strip).

SouthBayZ71 09-19-2007 10:18 AM

Can headers be installed by a mildly mechanically enclined person who is good at reading directions? :D...orshould I to take it to a shop if/when I ever do this upgrade ...it's pretty darn expensive!

gpet6669 09-19-2007 10:52 AM

if they are direct replacment headers than yes, you should be ableto do it pretty easy (with some swearing and scuffed up nuckels) Other than that yes you should take it to a shop. BTW when and if you put them on, make sure to start it up and rev it up a few times. This will let all of your nabors that you have done a really good mod, and wanted to tell them all. That and you will love the sound that comes out of them. If youhave problems with them or don't think that you can do it on your own, come over to fairfield and I will help you.

SouthBayZ71 09-19-2007 12:07 PM

Didn't realize that you were close by Gpet ...up near Vacaville, right?

Would long tubes replace my single-in, dual out exhaust ...I know that shorty's should bolt right up.

hunt4game29 09-19-2007 03:13 PM

From what i have read long tube header and then they make a y pipe for them to bolt right up and you have to remove your cats.

SouthBayZ71 09-19-2007 03:22 PM

Hmmm ...I think removing cats is a "no-no" in California ...blah!

07_Bowtie 09-19-2007 06:52 PM

Hey southbay, Don't know how legal u are trying to stay in Cali, but if u are, you would need shorty headers. I put on a set of JBA headers wasn't tough. If you can remove a stock manifold than u are good to go. Long tubes are a no no in cali as well as no cats.

chevy112488 09-19-2007 07:35 PM

i thought there was some way you could relocate them to farther back along the pipes or something, and still be legal... maybe not though