Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Heat Damper Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Default Heat Damper Question

Hello Everyone!
While working on my air conditioning, I got stuck & posted some questions here. People were very nice & helped me out a lot. So, I thought I'd pass this one across the table:

I noticed that my truck always has some heat coming out of the vents. I can turn the heat all the way off & use "Fresh Air" and the vents blow some heat. I measured it with the truck warmend up & found this:
67 degrees F out, vent discharge 120F
85 degrees F out, vent discharge 128F
91 degrees F out, vent discharge 126F

This is the same (+ or - a degree or two) when driving or holding still. I can't test it on "Recirculate" because my A/C always kicks on in that setting- voiding the test.

If the fan is on a lower setting, the temp is a little higher. I'm using stem thermometers, so that may have something to do with that variance.

Before I remove tons of trim under the dash to look, I thought I'd ask if the dampers may be not closing properly & if they are, indeed, adjustable.
Or, am I looking at the wrong item & dampers have nothing to do with sending me heat, just air flow direction?
Or, is this normal because the air is passing something hot, such as the engine?

The only comparisons I could make are my wife's Chevy HHR. On "Fresh" you get just about outdoor temp from the discharge vents, maybe a degree higher or lower.

Thanks for any ideas you may have. Your help is appreciated.
Paul