Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

HELP! 1994 Silverado - Power Window Sometimes Doesn't Work

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 04:52 PM
Default HELP! 1994 Silverado - Power Window Sometimes Doesn't Work

I need some help. The driver's side power window on my 1994 Chevy Silverado K1500 extended cab pickup works fine sometimes and sometimes it doesn't work at all. I guess it has a mind of its own. The power window motor was replaced about 2 years ago. Actually, the motor was re-built instead of replaced (another story!) but it seemed to work fine and still does sometimes. If the motor was bad, I don't think the power windowwould work at all. I've noticed that when the power window is not working, it is usually pretty hot outside (afternoon). I live in South Florida where the summers are pretty brutal. If it's nice and cool outside (morning), then the power window seems to work fine. Another thing I've noticed is that the needle on the voltage meter on the instrument panel (dashboard) jumps when I press the control switch on the door panel to activate the power window. If I press the control switch up or down to activate the power window, the window won't work, but I notice the needle on the voltage meter twitching. Do I have a short circuitor a bad switch or a loose connection somewhere. If anyone can shed some light on this, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:48 PM
Default RE: HELP! 1994 Silverado - Power Window Sometimes Doesn't Work

sounds like a bad motor..note the dome light..see if she dims sklightly when you hit the button..if so,motor is bad

Old 06-01-2008, 12:39 AM

I agree with Argon, the dimming of the dome light would indicate a draw of amperage going to the motor(could always pop the door panel and check at the motor with a DC volt meter. If the power isn't getting to the motor it is most likely the master window switch on the drivers door armrest,they can only take so much rain water over the years getting into them.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:45 PM

The dome light does dim when I press the power window switch. I guess the consensus is that the motor is bad. The windowhasn't worked at all for the last 4-5 days. I picked up a new motor at a local auto parts store and will have it installed in the next couple of days. Hopefully, that will resolve my problem. I'll post again in a couple of days. Thanks.