Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Help! 93 Chevy started surging this morn!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 01:39 PM
Default Help! 93 Chevy started surging this morn!

Hey guys! Got a prob I'm hoping someone can help me with.
First off, I am NO mechanic! So please bear with me.
Here is the situation...
I have a 93 chevy Silverado (of course). Has the 350 engine (can't remember what liter it is off hand). This morning I went out and started it with no prob and let it warm up. Drove about 20miles to the service station. When I got out I noticed that the exhaust fumes smelt a little rich. When I got to work about 35 more mile I noticed the idle was really low. Just over 1000rpm. When I went out to go to lunch I started it up and it went to about 1500rpm and started surging down to almost stalling and back up to normal idle. So, I chanced it and went to the sub shop about 1mile away. After I started driving I couldn't tell anything was wrong at all. Made it to the sub shop, when I got back it took a couple cranks to get it to started (kept dying). Made it back to work, but keeps surging while idling. That's were I am now...
Can anybody give me an idea what to do? I have family that can work on it, but I would like to be able to give them something to go on.
I have only had the truck for about 4mnths but this is the first time I've had any problems at all. It's only got 101,000 on it and the original owner I bought it from was family and kept it meticuously serviced and documented.
Any ideas?

Old 01-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Default RE: Help! 93 Chevy started surging this morn!

Well....that was wierd.
Left from work with it surging. After I got it out on the road I could tell it wasn't running right. It acted like it wanted to cut out going up hills. About 5 miles and the engine light came on. Drove about 15 more miles up and down hills and the engine light went off. Stoped at the gas station and it was purring like a kitten again. Drove it on home and its still purring.
Could it have been a clogged fuel injector or something that got blown out? Should I still have it hooked up to one of those diagnostic thing-a-majigs?

Old 01-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Default RE: Help! 93 Chevy started surging this morn!

My suggestion would have been to run some injector cleaner through it. And you still should. Fuel filter may need replaced. If it's running normal now, I wouldn't waste money taking it to the dealer to run the diag. It will cost you a minimum of $100, and that's just to hook it up to the computer. Take it to Auto Zone or Advance auto parts and ask if they have trouble code scanner you can use. They will let you use it for free. If you have a Pep Boys around, you can ask them too, but the one here told me I had to schedule service and pay the $100.