Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Help with putting front lift on 07 silverado

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 04:47 PM

So lets say I was putting 33's on my chevy 2500 and they probably will not fit anyways, but will the suspension lift, lift them so that the tires have room or is that more of a body lift? What is the point of a body lift? My cousin had told me to get that since it was cheapest and gave me more clearance, but from what you are saying they are basically pointless, correct?

Old 04-13-2009, 07:20 PM

Yes that is what I am saying. Now that said they do give you more clearence for larger tires but that clearence is only with the body. The suspesion lift will give you the same body clearence as well as frame height.

With the body lift you will be able to tell and will see a gap between the body and frame when you look at the truck from the side. I personally dont like them but if the only thing you are looking for is tire clearence it will do what you want. Just not the best or prettiest.

One perk of the body lift is that it will not change your ride quality at all given that you are not touching the suspension.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by cotywheeler
personally i'm not much on the big rims. these guys are all right too. if you want bigger tires just to have bigger tires and you don't have enough room in the fender wells, you have to think of how much it's going to increase your front end. if you ahve to level it out 2 inches and your enw tires are 2 inches taller, you jsut raised your front end 4 inches. that's alot. your suspensions is great. Z-71 off road suspension is awesome. at the same time though, sinc eyou don't have the 4 wheel option, you got on-off road tires, a skid plate, fog lamps and rims. you got new rims and tires. basically you would be losing money, is it really all that worth it? i know it pulls just fine. but to spend that much extra money just for some bigger tires, but no 4 wheel drive? i'm not being an *** i promise, just logical. what do you typically pull? bumper pull, fifth wheel> trailers or boats?
I want to get taller tires (not really to give me more lift) for more sidewall. Trying to get away from the low profile look. I really like the after market wheels I have. Getting tires that are bigger arent going to be that much more expensive. Have already been looking. I dont tow or haul any thing. How would I get away from having to do an alignment if I do a spindel lift?

Old 04-24-2009, 07:50 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

That is the beauty of using just the spindles. It basically just moves your rim mounting location straight down and doesn't affect the angles of your a-arms so no camber adjustment is needed. I have been lowering trucks with spindles for years. Lowering spindles just do the opposite (obviously) and move the rim mounting location up into the wheel well. You need to check with whichever manufacturer you decide to go with (if you decide to go this route) because you will probably need a minimum of a 17' or maybe even 18" rim. Which if you have your rims already may put an axe in a spindle lift. The cheaper leveling kit just brings new torsion bar keys which is OK too, but I am sure you will need to align everything when done which would still be cheaper than buying new wheels if yours aren't big enough already. Good Luck either way!

Old 04-25-2009, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
That is the beauty of using just the spindles. It basically just moves your rim mounting location straight down and doesn't affect the angles of your a-arms so no camber adjustment is needed. I have been lowering trucks with spindles for years. Lowering spindles just do the opposite (obviously) and move the rim mounting location up into the wheel well. You need to check with whichever manufacturer you decide to go with (if you decide to go this route) because you will probably need a minimum of a 17' or maybe even 18" rim. Which if you have your rims already may put an axe in a spindle lift. The cheaper leveling kit just brings new torsion bar keys which is OK too, but I am sure you will need to align everything when done which would still be cheaper than buying new wheels if yours aren't big enough already. Good Luck either way!
I currently have after market wheels that are 20". And want to get taller tires than I currently have. so that means doing a 2" lift to eliminate any tire rubbing. Who do you recommend for a quality spindle?

Old 04-26-2009, 07:48 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I have always had good luck with these guys...
http://www.suspensionmaxx.com/

They have a new way of lifting the 2007's that they claim won't change the ride at all. Give them a call they have always led me in the right direction.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by 6mins2live
1) Articulation is how much verticle travel yo have in your axel/wheels. Mainly needed in off road applications. I use my truck off road a lot and honestly I have never been like "damn, I wish I had another 3" of articulation." So because your truck is 2WD I am guessing that doesnt matter to you that much anyway. With stock shocks you will have more than enough for any on road situation you will run into.

2)I dont know much about lift spindles, never delt with them.

3)Body lift and leveling kit are very very different. A body lift literally lifts the whole body up off the frame by repalcing the stock body mounts with ones that are 2-3" taller. In my opinion this looks kind of goofy if it is not suplimented with a suspension lift. Not to mention if you have nerf bars, brush gaurd, CAI, and some other things they will no longer work/look right because the only thing that raises is the body. Some say it is not too hard and some say it is. All depends on your ability and resources. This will help you NONE off road, no extra ground clearence, no extra suspension travel, mostly useless.

4) A front leveling kit consist of a) torsion keys (4x4) which are made different than the stocks to give the extra lift. or b) coil spring spacers (2WD) which literally add a little extra length to the coil springs.

5) A suspension lift is the most expensive way to go but also to most effective. All of the others are only good for 2-3" where as a suspension lift can go from 3" to 9"+. This will be the best way to help off road, giving you the extra ground clearence and suspension travel. If your looking to go this route I suggest a lot of reasearch before you do anthing.

Hope this helps you guys. Questions welcome. Its a big subject.

I am also looking to level my 07 2wd silverado, what do you think about taller springs instead of a leveling kit. Thanks