Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Help Thump Thump Thump when I let off the gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Default Help Thump Thump Thump when I let off the gas

I have a 03 Silverado that has a thumping noise when I let off the gas. Have checked u joints and drive line. everything seems to be ok. Any ideas. No noise when your driving, just when you let off the gas. Thanks.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Have you done any kind of mods to the truck?? Like Cold Air Intake?

Old 03-10-2010, 09:46 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

something stuck in the tire???????????? kinda strange

Old 03-11-2010, 10:02 AM

Found out my wheel was about to fall off. I was driving 75mph 2 days ago. When I had my tires balanced wal mart tech did not tighten. 2 lug nuts were already off . Geez. I'm not going back there. Anyway, thanks for the response.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

What a bunch of jerks! I have heard so many stories bout wal mart screwing up all the time.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:11 PM
TruckForum Addict

Yeah! The few times I went to Wally World to have my wife's Explorer's tires rotated and balanced I watched them do it now. A while back a Tech didn't see me and drove the Ford out and called it in as complete. So I called the manager. Needless to say he did the job orrectly and was terminated afterwards. And I have been back numerous times to have the tired rebalanced, because they can not figure out how to balance tires... I wonder were they hire these guys. Sorry if I affended any Wally World employees.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:05 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....I told them to use a torque wrench on my tires and NOT a tourqe stick....I had to call corporate and a store manager and spend an hour arguing with them before I got my tires done...........for the cost of the tires only.............Wally world has some weird policies............

Old 03-12-2010, 03:41 PM

All I can say, if this happens to you, stop and check to see if your wheels are tightened. I could have died the other day. Never had that happen to me before.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:54 PM

did you call corporate and give them a piece of your mind? I also would have gone back to the store and raised #$%%.......

Old 03-12-2010, 06:40 PM

I work as a mechanic for a large tire store chain in Michigan and there are many reasons for your tires to loosen themselves,don't get me wrong I'm not defending them because most of those reasons are human error or lack of concern for your safety but it is possible for them to loosen up on there own.
the biggest reason for that to happen is corrosion on the rotor face or on the wheel where it bolts to the truck(hub)and it can also be in the lug nut seats.but these are all things that a competent tire installer will check for and like it was said above watching them is the best preventive they hate it but there is a reason they hate it

Quick Reply: Help Thump Thump Thump when I let off the gas