Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Help with transmission ID Please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Default Help with transmission ID Please!

I broke the sunwell in the transmission of my 2001 Silverado 1500 4x4. I found a 4l60E transmission on Craigs list and the price is right. The guy claims it only has 1000 miles on a fresh rebuild. He said a couple of weeks after the rebuild the motor blew so now he's just parting the truck out and he has the receipt for the work. I'm kind of desperate as I need my truck for work, To make things worse my wifes POS VW Beetle hasn't been running and has been in the shop for a week (and I might add that nobody can find out what is wrong for sure) so I gotta move quick on this one. Is this the same transmission that came in my 01 Silverado? The truck is at my shop 12 miles away or I would crawl under it and see if I could figure it out.

Thanks for any help, Bryan

Old 01-24-2010, 03:30 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Hey friend look inside your glove box and you will see a sticker with all kinds of codes. Google online for GM Codes and that will tell you everything you wanna know about your truck.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:05 PM

If you go to this site and enter your VIN, the RPO codes for your vehicle will be listed. M30 is the RPO code for this transmission.

http://compnine.com/vid.php

Old 01-24-2010, 06:18 PM

Thanks for the info! That helps a lot. Turns out I do have a 4l60e in the Silverado. Now the next question. The Trans on Craigs list came out of a 98 Tahoe 4x4 with the 5.7L engine, will this bolt up?

Old 01-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

It will bolt up but, the computer settings may be different. You have the MAF sensor which will determine shift points and engine load all together with the TPS sensor and O2 sensor.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by RUFFNECK4LYFE
It will bolt up but, the computer settings may be different. You have the MAF sensor which will determine shift points and engine load all together with the TPS sensor and O2 sensor.
Thanks for the info but what does this mean? What computer settings would be different if the shift points are determined by the MAF, TPS, and O2 sensor? I'm just trying to figure all this out.
I dont know what to do here. I went and took a look at the trans and it looks the same of course. He showed me the receipt for the work he had done on it. We struck a deal and gave him $100 to hold it until tomorrow morning so I can go get some cash out of the bank. Should I back out of the deal and just pay to get mine rebuilt?

Thanks again for the help, I don't know what to do though

Old 05-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Beginner
Default 1982 GMC dump truck model C7D042

i am trying to figure out which manual transmission is in this truck. its a 4x2 with a GVWR of 23,300 lbs and it has a fuel pincher V8 8.2 diesel engine. 5 speed with 1st gear being a granny gear. all of the numbers that i have found on it i am told are only casting numbers and they do tell the people nothing. i have been all over the net and found 1 place that says it may be a Muncie sm465. does anyone have any insight on this? thank you from Ohio.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:49 AM
Default Fix the original

I know that fixing your existing tranny is expensive....mine was two grand... but you are buying more than a tranny: you are getting a warranty. Someone else is gonna do the work, and unless you have a pretty good garage and have done work like this before you are really better off letting a pro do it.

Yes, the tranny shift points have a lot to do with the electronic speedometer, engine rpm, throttle position, mass air flow, O2 readings, etc. If his tranny doesn't have the exact same mapping as yours, you will have troubles.

If you don't set the TV cable properly you will burn up your new tranny in a few short miles. It's an easy mistake to make.

I had that same choice a year ago and I paid to have it done, and I have a decent garage and have done the work before. It just doesn't pencil out.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:53 AM

Oh, yeah: Seals. If this is a 4x4, be sure to change the seal between the boxes, either 4x4 or 4x2 the front and rear seals, and torque converter. Don't forget to change the filter and pan gasket. Parts start getting pricey, even when you do it on your own and you don't save all that much.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:23 AM
Beginner
Default same position

I am in the exact same position. I am picking up a used 02 2wd for my 99 silverado 2wd. I see shelf rebuilts for as low as 600 but most shops by me would end up an 2000 by the time your done. For me the deciding factor is most people I know have had issues w/ their rebuilt transmissions not holding up. Having to take them back 3, 4, and 5 times. These are different shops w/ decent reputations. That is way to much hassle for me if I just spent 2k!!! I will say most of the time the issues can be resolved and it works out but not always. Most have 1 year warranty and it comes around pretty quick. I could see going that route if they had a guarantee that meant something, like $200 back in my pocket for returned trips??? No offense as I know a rebuilder just my feelings.
Used transmissions are a huge random pricing issue. $1200 for a 30,000 mile tranny to $250 for 120,000 mile and anywhere in between. I am not stranded so I figure if I get one for less than 500, fail and try again and still have 1k to spare.

Quick Reply: Help with transmission ID Please!