Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holy Crap! I have a TBS!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Default Holy Crap! I have a TBS!

Upon closer scrutiny, I noticed that I have a throttle body spacer installed on my truck. I sure as hell didn't put it there, so I think perhaps Major Silva might have snuck out the other night and got it.

He's been doing all kinds of covert, clandestine operations recently. Did you know that he also went ahead and got his bow tie painted black? I also overheard some mumbling about his wheels being painted soon.

Pictures to follow. (Shut up Charger, I know)

Old 05-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Default RE: Holy Crap! I have a TBS!

Go ahead and make fun of me. I don't even know what good a TBS does for me.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:34 PM

I know it doesn't mean much to you guys, but I'm just getting started. I really ought to wash my truck. Spend a few hours detailing the cack out of it. : )

More pics to follow BTW.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:04 PM

Awesome, does that thing have an exhaust? That would be my next mod. Have fun man!

Old 05-14-2008, 11:24 PM

How much of a pain was it to remove the bowtie? I assume thats why the grill was off.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:32 PM

Yeah, the grill was kinda tricky at first. There's a total of 5 screws holding the grill on, and they're easy to get to, but what I didn't notice was grill isn't actually connected to the bottom trim part with screws. It's held in by three slot clips and they were kind of a pain to get to.

The bow tie thing was only attached via two small, delicate little spring clips on top of a 5/8ths plastic nut. Just loosen those up and you're good to go. I cleaned the bow tie with denatured alcohol and a clean rag, then very lightly scuffed it with 500 grit sandpaper. Hit it with three very light coats of black trim paint, let it sit for 20 minutes between coats, and an hour after the last one started the reassembly process. Pretty easy.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Chevycowboy

Awesome, does that thing have an exhaust? That would be my next mod. Have fun man!
It does not have an exhaust yet. I figure wheels and tires are next because my tires are fackin shot. Oh, by the way, I started the process of painting my wheels, and I really think I made a big mistake. My original intentions were to just clean 'em real good with soap and water, then carefully go over them with a clean rag and the alcohol, but my buddy Jared said that I "Ought to spray them things down with brake cleaner, ya know, get 'em real clean..."

That was a mistake. The brake cleaner just attacked the wheels, and I noticed it had eaten away at the clear coat. It was just horrible to watch, and now the preponderance of my day tomorrow will be to scrape the vestiges of clear coat off the wheels.

Oh well, the things you learn as you move through life eh?
As always, more pics tomorrow.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:39 PM
TruckForum Addict

So... I noticed the trim is still on the side of your truck. LOL! Just messin with ya. I thought you were gonna "murder" it out though. Whatever happened to that idea?

Old 05-14-2008, 11:42 PM
TruckForum Addict

ORIGINAL: MajorSilva

ORIGINAL: Chevycowboy

It does not have an exhaust yet. I figure wheels and tires are next because my tires are fackin shot. Oh, by the way, I started the process of painting my wheels, and I really think I made a big mistake. My original intentions were to just clean 'em real good with soap and water, then carefully go over them with a clean rag and the alcohol, but my buddy Jared said that I "Ought to spray them things down with brake cleaner, ya know, get 'em real clean..."

That was a mistake. The brake cleaner just attacked the wheels, and I noticed it had eaten away at the clear coat. It was just horrible to watch, and now the preponderance of my day tomorrow will be to scrape the vestiges of clear coat off the wheels.

Oh well, the things you learn as you move through life eh?
As always, more pics tomorrow.
Wait if those things have a clear coat on them you needed to sand that off anyway. Otherwise your paint isn't gonna stick to the wheels.I'd go ahead and soak them bad boys down and sand them down real good and then paint them.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:43 PM

The trim is still on THAT side. The passenger side is clean and smooth. Yeah, I'm rockin' the lopsided look, but dude, there isn't enough time in the day to get everything done that I set out to do. I have a bit of an attention deficit when it comes to project completion.

Quick Reply: Holy Crap! I have a TBS!