Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Honesty From Chev Owners

Old 02-01-2007, 12:11 AM
Default Honesty From Chev Owners

I currently have a 97 4x4 4.6L F-150 with 206k miles on it and it runs perfect with no major problems ever. And I drive the dog squeeze outta my truck every single day, towing, hauling, offroading racing you name it I do it with it. My dad has a 2004 f150 with the 5.4L with 30k miles and no problems. We have had chebbies in the past but not recently.
I have to say my buddy has a 2001 gmc 2500 fully loaded and his seats are more comfortable than my ford seats have ever thought of being.
I am woundering if you chebby guys can give me some honesty about the reliability and capablilty of your trucks.
I have to note that the new chev they just came out with seems to be a few yards short of the 2004-current f150 generation. It towes the same weight as a 4 year old truck, and in the bed you can haul less than the ford. The ford is higher, quieter, better ride. And in my opinion built way better. But 22 mpg is impressive from the 5.3L. But manythings about the truck seem like they copied ford ideas from 4 years ago. Ez lift tailgate, hydroformed frame, coilover shocks. But then they didnot use quiet steel. The ford ex cab windows are power and roll down just like the front, i dont know if the chevy does or not.

I am a ford guy but I am not too biased. What are ya'lls opinions about your trucks?

Old 02-01-2007, 01:19 AM
Default RE: Honesty From Chev Owners

Best thing ive ever owned. Plenty of power, stock shocks not such a smooth ride after awhile, but new ones ride good. extended cap windows are not rolldown, they are pushout. Too much to talk about now, but later.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:46 AM

Ive honestly been disapointed with the chevy i recently purchased. at 34k miles there were trans clunks, sqeaky shocks/leaf springs, interior rattleing thatis impossable to find, the acceleration on my truck is hit or miss...one day it can take off like theres no tomorrow and then the next its slower than a mo-ped. Had the dash lights go out 3 times...ive had the door lock on the driver side replaced twice, rust build up in the engine compartment...and to top it off my brakes went out the other day.
I dont know, maybe I just got a dud...But after ive got most things fixed, got some aftermarket stuff, im pretty pleased.
I do look at ford trucks my buddies own and see how little they have done and see how good they run and it kinda makes me think about trading it in, but im going to stick with it.
I dont know...well see
-Ben

Old 02-01-2007, 01:58 AM

i have a 99 chevy 4wd ext caband love it, the rear main seal was replaced at 110k other than that its been good. i hate most all newer cars and trucks they all look like toys so my advice is to spend some time test driving and asking around.

btw had no problem when towing 6k lbs vechicles or making wood runs.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:58 AM

Love the truck. Have had minor squeek issue with suspension when taking off while turning from a start, some driveline clunks w/o issue just a little noise, and a water pump at 45K. Truck runs and rides great though, adn at 60 MPH with cruise I get 26.1 mpg. Not that I ever drive 60 though. I wish I had the 4.10 rearend though. Had my 93' for 283k before trading it and flat dogged the **** out of it with 35' BFG. finally lost tranny at 281k but otherwise ran great even with towing >9000 lbs on many occasions.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:00 AM

Well ive chossing to buy chevy/gmc over ford and dodge, because its in my blood, and i am extreamly familyer with the tbi engine's i can understand the english, when somthing is wrong, i can tell busted wheel berring/bad alt/timing/or even the cooling system,when somthing starts to fail, i can almost prob 99.9% identify it right away,,,so thats one reason, another is simply reliability,my chevys have got me thru some extreamly tuff times, and for this i honestly feel devoted, call me crazy but, thats just me,
I have always felt that ford has pretty good interior, material tends to look cleaner longer, my dad has a few 80's modellarriat's that he seldom drives and seem to need more work then my chevies, on a regular basis, to me i would say yea ford has had its day espescialy in the spotlight("bonnie and clyde in there 30'sford")
but it was chevy who picked up the pieces!.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:04 PM

This is my first Chevy truck. I love it so far. I still have 2 Fords, 92 F150 with almost 200k and 03 Exped which is the reason I went to Chevy. The Ford dealership where I bought the Epedition just pissed me off so badI couldnt buy another Ford product. To me the vehicles are likely to have equal reliability and comfort but customer support is very important.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:45 AM

I just recently purchased my first Chevy and I am dissappointed to say the least (07 classic ext cab 4WD)

The truck was delivered with scratches in the paint that took 4 trips to the stealer to get fixed. The truck was delivered out of alignment and had to get that taken care of twice in the first 3000 miles. The steering wheel vibrates like it should have a quarter slot in the side of it...and GM could care less...they tell me "that's how they ride"...even though it didn't the first 5,000 miles.

I have had two Fords. The first was a 93 F-150 that I ran for 120K and then sold it to a guy in 2001 and last I heard it was still on the road 2 years ago. I had a 97 Ranger that was an OK truck. I put 128K on that truck but I did have to replace the 4WD hubs twice and the CV joints and tranny were on the way out when I sold it.

The truck previous to this Chevy was a Tundra and it was a pretty nice truck but I got a new job and decided to get selfish and buy a new truck.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:49 AM

M1Tanker - You need to find a new dealership or contact chevy directly. I have never heard of having this much trouble with a new truck. The dealerships here kiss your *** to keep business and fix things quickly with no issues. Same in Asheville, NC where I had to go once for a warning light. They even stayed open late on a saturday to check it for me. You should try another dealership if is possible.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:49 PM

Hi all--

First a little information about my truck: I've got a 2002 Silverado EC-SB with the 5.3. I bought the truck about six months ago with 12k on it, and now it only has about 18.5k. I know a little bit about the guy I bought it from (about 70 years old, has always had chevys and takes good care of them, and drives about as carefully as is possible-- thus the 12k in 4 years). The 6k miles that I've put on it have been largely highway driving.

My complaints:

1. The tailgate latch/handle has broken twice in the time I've owned it, and it was aparently fixed once under warranty while the old man had it, and once under recall when it was new. It's the same problem every time-- some plastic retainer clip that keeps breaking. It's like a bad joke-- recently, I've been working a lot, and I rarely have time to haul much of anything, and neither did the old man I got the truck from, so I'm estimating that each of the $80.00 repairs allows me to open the tailgate about 20 times before it breaks again. I feel like breaking a window at the dealership on my way out... Thanks for the help a** holes!

I know it sounds like I must be exaggerating, but I'm not given to hyperbole-- I don't do anything weird with the gate, and I don't beat up my truck. IMHO the dealership should goodwill this repair. It is, after all, a part that they know is bad, as evidenced by the recall. Last time I was at the dealership, I asked the service advisors to explain to me why the tailgate latch was repeatedly breaking, and they said that it is my fault, because I pull the handle too hard. I pointed out that it was happening before I owned the truck-- they just shrugged and swiped my credit card for another $80.00 latch repair.

All I can say on that topic is that GM's "Professional Grade" engineering missed the mark on the tailgate latch design. I mean really, it's not even a locking latch like I've seen on some Fords-- you would think they could get that simple part to work correctly. Maybe they should have left well enough alone and kept the old-style metal latch that they used for decades before plastic came into vogue.

2. Interior squeaks and rattles... there are many. I've never been bothered by squeaks and rattles, so I wouldn't call this a complaint, but I know these noises bother many people. I suspect that the causes are as follows:

-- The extended cab is just not very rigid, due to the lack of a support column between the front and rear doors. I think the crew cab or regular cab models would be better in this respect.

-- The GM interior materials are not top-quality. As evidence of this: my truck has the LT trim package, and the leather on the front seats is so-so for a truck, and simply poor quality when compared to up-market sedans (particularly european sedans-- maybe europeans useleather that is softer and thicker, and thus wears better?). Furthermore, there is a LOT of hard, brittle feeling plastic... the door panels, the dash, the center console, the A-pilars, the seat bases, etc. This hard, brittle feeling plastic squeaks when two pieces of it rub together, and it creaks when it is flexed or you push on it.

-- Some loose pieces behind the dash vibrate at some speeds. I suspect that these are just wiring harnesses rubbing against the back of the hard, brittle interior plastic.

-- Door panels creak or vibrate from the door mounted speakers. I'm an NPR listener, and I'm not deaf, so the stereo is stock, and not listened to at high volume levels. Talk radio shouldn't make the doors rattle-- what if I actually listened to music..? You get the idea.

3. The instrument lights are difficult to adjust (they are essentially either on high, which is too bright if you'

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Honesty From Chev Owners