Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

how do I not lose my investment 95 z71 diesel

Old 12-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Default how do I not lose my investment 95 z71 diesel

I believe to have a cracked head or head gasket blown. I have just bought a brand new heat sink pmd and harness. my IP is only 20k old and the truck has a good tranny 4x4 everything works 215k miles just some dents. I used the bars head gasket repair bottle when i first had smoke and rough idle with coolent losss and the system worked. when the problem came back i tried it again but with the leave in stuff. again it stopped. now the smoke is worse than ever. very quick to over heat and i am afraid that the money for a head gasket repair may lead me to new heads then a new motor once it is all uncovered. please help I have been useing this forum for years and my truck is killing me and btw i'm not even sure if my turbo even works.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:57 PM

i may have a lot of good parts to get rid of

Old 12-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Unfortunately selling a truck with a blown head gasket you are going to take a bath on it. If you are mechanically able I would pull the heads and do the work myself. If not then you need to decide if the truck is worth the money. I wouldn't let the miles be a determining factor either. If the truck is in good shape and just needs new head gaskets I would do it. You already own and know this truck and I will bet you unless you buy a new one any used truck you find to replace it will need some type of repairs - they all do. I see a lot of trucks that need either motor or transmission work for sale dirt cheap. Good luck with your decision!

Old 12-04-2011, 12:23 PM

im with shamrock any other used truck is going to need repairs.... unless you are going to buy a brand new truck i would fix that one..... with the modern engines and fuels you could run it until it rots apart..... fixing it will be cheeper that buying a new one

Old 12-06-2011, 11:00 AM

my major concern is that the cylinders are gonna be messeup or something else like that because of the coolant and head gasket repair in a bottle that has been burned through. do i have to pull the engine to do the head gasket

Old 12-15-2011, 05:15 PM

I know you don't have to pull the engine on older trucks, but you might with a newer one. Probably not though. Replacing the head gasket is fairly cheap and simple if you do it yourself. Just go find a YouTube video on how to do it or get a Haynes Manuel.