Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

How do you get all of the fluid out of the transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Default How do you get all of the fluid out of the transmission?

I am not ready to change the fluid in my truck but will probably in about 20,000 miles. I figure that the torque converter holds a significant amount of fluid but I'm not sure how much. I would like to get everything drained out at the same time I would like to install a deeper oil pan and replace the stock transmission cooler for a bigger one. All suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:27 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

most of the replacement torque converters have a drain plug in them....I have on ocassion drilled and installed a 1/4 inch pipe plug on the bottom of the converter....I tryed to find a link to give you an idea but everything I found does not do ANY justice to the benifits of doing it. I have done this several times on tranny rebuilds with no ill effects....be warned though you WILL get covered in oil

Old 05-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Man Im lost on how to go around flushing out your old fluid. The only way I know is to drop the pan several times or if you have a drain plug it would be easier. Other than that you would be better off gettin it done with a T Tech transmission machine at any local lube shop. The service runs about 140 bucks but it is very quick and safe. You can actually see your old fluid coimg out then it will turn cleaner cuz of the new fluid. IMO, 140 bucks well worth it. With that deeper pan and bigger cooler, you will extend the life of your transmission.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:34 AM

I wouldn't put a hole in my converter, I would be afraid of ruining it while it's in the vehicle and having to pull it anyways. Also I would amagine it would make the flexplate flex more than needed because of the heavier weight on one side. (Maybe the oil inside it balances it out, I don't know for sure)

Without going to get it flushed, the only other way is to pull the lines from your tranny and wait for it all to flush out of the lines to your cooler. This of course with the oil pan off when you change it as well. To my knowledge you cannot get the fluid out of the torque converter without taking it off or putting a hole in it, OR flushing it out. If you really want to go that far, then you will want to change the fluid two times anyways, you will want to get the crap out now, change the filter, fill it back up and try LUBEGUARDS trans flush additive. Basically you put it in and run the vehicle for a bit then change the fluid again. That is what I would do before I took it to any shop where some kid is going to forget to top off my trans, or I drill a hole in the torque converter.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:30 PM

the weight is so insignifigant that it would not make any diffrence....like I said before almost every aftermarket converter comes with a drain plug in it......this was done to every tranny I rebuilt in the 4 yrs I worked at the tranny shop here in town that did not get a new converter for what ever reason ( about 5000+)............with a ZERO return rate for converter failure....it is quite simple to do and will save you 140.00 at jiffy lube or where ever for a T Tech. But to each their own.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:00 PM

It may just balance out the weight of it with fluid transfer to other side. I didn't think that it would destroy the converter, the only thing that I am concerned with is just drilled sidewalls are not strong enough for a plug at the centrifugal forces that are there at 5000+ RPM's. IMO I am pretty sure the aftermarket converters have them welded to the sidewalls.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:24 PM

I see what you are saying.....but the converter sidewall is just as thick as the rest of the converter.......when reman companys reman converters they cut them open with a cutting torch replace the "guts" weld them back together drill the drain hole and put in a 1/4 or 1/8 inch brass pipe plug...I do understand your concern but it is nothing to worry about...and again to each their own

Old 05-23-2009, 12:56 PM

Just to let you guys know, I am reading all of your advice but I still haven't decided what seems to be the best idea. I'm afraid to drill a hole in the torque converter but I have heard of it done before. If I had all of the equipment then I would just drop the transmission all together to get all of the fluid out. But I don't right now so I'm just not sure what yet. Thanks for all of the feedback and please continue to offer more. I think it is a good discussion for other people too.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:48 AM

Wow - you're going through a lot of trouble when you talk about draining the converter. I would just drop the pan, and replace the fluid. No real need to drain the converter.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:04 AM

I used to have trouble with transmissions with my 78 chevy. So it's just from experience for me to want to make sure every bit of old fluid is out before putting new in. How much would be left in the torque converter anyway?

Quick Reply: How do you get all of the fluid out of the transmission?