Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

How long can my truck sit without being driven?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 05:36 PM
Default How long can my truck sit without being driven?

I have a 96 Silverado which before long will be spending a lot more time sitting in the driveway than actually being driven. I've heard that it's not good for vehicles to sit for extended periods of time. Is this true? How long could it sit without being driven before I would need to worry about it not starting up, performance loss etc. Should I do anything to protect it?
Thanks!!!

Old 03-21-2007, 10:44 PM
Default RE: How long can my truck sit without being driven?

I'd put a battery tender on it,if possible...And there is a solution to pour in the tank to help keep the gas fresh

Old 03-21-2007, 11:08 PM

Argon knows by experience, so trust his advice.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:24 PM

Argon is right about the battery tender and the gas treatmentbut i woulda haveta say that if those are the only 2 things you will do to put ur truck in hibernation then at the mostI would leave it sit is 9 months or6 months without the gas treatment. gas after a certain time will sludge up and coat everything in a nice goo...clogging upur entire fuel system, carb,etc.
since its gonna be outside in the driveway you will also haveta worry about the tires,hoses,belts, etc to get dry rotted. dont forget about all the critters that will make a nice home in the airfilter,exhaust and interior ( ive seen rat nests inthecylinders a few times!!) and quite possibly some of the eletrical systems might fail as well. if you can, start it up at the least every other month and let it run or take it around the block if you decide on just the battery and gas treatment. i imagine that there's websites givingyou more detailed instructions on how to hibernate a car for yearsand if done properly and taking care of it while sleeping. good luck