Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to run wiring to a tool box???

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 12:09 PM

So I hook the two batteries together and then from the new battery I run the wiring under the body to the toolbox and hook it up to the inverter? So basically my alternator will recharge both of my batteries? I'm kinda having trouble picturing this, if you can't tell!

I think having the wiring run to the bed would be awesome, I could charge my stuff then when I go tailgating I can hook up some sweet speakers.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Yeah you'll hook the two batteries together, but you don't wire straight to the battery for your auxillary outlets in your bed. If you open up your hood and look for your fuse relay box and pop the top off, look at the dagram on the bottom of the lid and you'll see all your different fuses/relays. You'll probably see two of them that say AUX A and AUX B. Now if you look down at your fuse box you'll probably see a couple of bolts that correspond to the AUX fuses. You'll just wire straight to one of those bolts for your power. If you'd like I can take a picture of mine and send it to you

Does anyone know what guage wire he should use to run to the 12volt outlet? I would think 16-18ga would be fine, but I dont know for sure

haha yup the possibilities are endless with a little booze and a couple electrical outlets...

Old 04-24-2011, 01:02 PM

Please do take a picture when you have time. My brothers buddy knows a good amount about car electrical. I'm going to pick his brain as well. It doesn't seem too hard or too expensive. It deffiently seems worth it.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:45 PM

I have a 1000 watt peak inverter that I was going to hardwire to my truckbox but when I found out what size wire they recommended
"1/0 AWG" I decided against it and In my opinion and experience any inverter under 1000 watts is useless unless your using small electronics (laptops,really tiny TV's) for me to run a 990watt coffee maker properly, while camping, I had to raise the RPM's of the engine for it to properly work, using a mini shovel handle pressed against the gas pedal by my power seat, I had the inverter running off of jumper cables at the time. coffee was delicious..To wire a quality inverter properly were it would be useful for every day use would be expensive. wiring a 12VDC accessory outlet and purchasing a cordless tool battery car charger compatible with the brand cordless tools you use would be easily done and most economical.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:39 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

why a 1000 watts???????? an 18v drill battery comes no where close to 1000w.....even 3 of them dont....I can charge my 18v off of a 100w inverter with no problem.........1000w seems a little much for tools......just sayin