Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

I have a 03 1500hd and i need to improve gasmilage

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

The problem with all those aftermarket add-on's is you will need to drive the truck 1,000,000 miles to get your money back in gas savings. Make sure your truck is properly tuned-up, air filter is clean, and drive like you have some sense. Forget all those other add-on's! Driving with your tailgate down will do the same as a tonneau cover and it's FREE! I personally have noticed increased gas mileage by using higher octane gas. A little more at the pump, but it lasts me long enough to justify it, especially when towing. Just my 2 cents!

Old 04-07-2009, 10:12 PM

I've heard keeping the tailgate up is better. It creates a bubble of air in the bed of the truck. The rest of the air then glides over the top of that bubble and everything is more aerodynamic. That's why a coke can will do that stuff it does in the bed of your truck. It won't do that with the tailgate down. The tailgate down just makes air go down and constantly hit the tailgate, kinda acting like a spoiler. Mythbusters actually did that and tested two of the exact same trucks to see if it was true. They got models of the two trucks and put them under water to see if the swirl effect was true with the beds. Since water is a much more visible liquid than air, they were able to prove the claim. In real world testing, they got more miles out of a tank with the tailgate up than down. Also if you keep the windows up and the a/c on when needed it will be better for mileage than keeping the windows down, unless you're going city speeds.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Figure you'll spend $200 on exhaust, $250 on a CAI, $300 on a cover, etc and what is it goign to do?? I would never spend that kind of money just to improve mileage thats for sure. Do the math and figure out how long it'll take you to recoup that loss... Otherwise, just live with it.

There's my 2 cents. Hey mr shamrock, head on over to chevroletforums, you seem like a pretty smart guy and we have some pretty good discussions over there

Old 04-07-2009, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by 92chevysilvy

Hey mr shamrock, head on over to chevroletforums, you seem like a pretty smart guy and we have some pretty good discussions over there
You solicitor you. Pickin on truck forums. Why I outta. Why I outta.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:18 AM

Does anyone else get better mpg by NOT using the cruise control? I used my foot and got 21 then later got tired and used cruise. I got 18. I don't know, I have gotten almost 26 without the cruise as well. I guess I will just use cruise when I don't care and am tired.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Cruise control does the exact opposite as it should do, It should regulate rpms, not speed. When going up a hill it increases rpms and when going down it decreases and brakes, not very fuel effecient

Old 04-09-2009, 07:36 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Thats right 92chevysilvy...I moved from Florida (which is obviously flat) to South Carolina (which isn't) and using the cruise here is different. You can set the cruise on flat terrain and I think get the same or better mileage, but as soon as you hit a hill the motor tachs WAY up to try and keep the speed you are set at. Especially pulling a trailer. I know your not supposed to use it pulling a trailer, but those 11 hour drives from Florida can get to you. I think when your driving without cruise we have the tendancy to start speeding up a little before we actually get to the hill where the cruise has no way of knowing until you are already climbing it.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:42 AM

I use my CC alot on the toll roads, I have noticed better MPG. I reset my average and drove it with and without. The difference in the averages was about 1 ( actually .8) MPG over a 9 mile stretch.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:52 PM

yeah maybe sumting is the matter with my truck im up to now averaging 13.6mpg. so its better then when i first got it. it said 12.4 so i kjnwo im driving better then the guy b4 me but sumthing has to be wrong if yall are getting 18mpg or 20mpg and im geting only 13.6 hmmmm oh well ima just live wiht it and buy a crotch rocket

Old 04-09-2009, 05:41 PM

I think your 6.0 has a lot to do with it. I wouldn't expect any more than 15 out of a 6.0 4X4

Quick Reply: I have a 03 1500hd and i need to improve gasmilage